Advice

This topic contains 4 replies, has 192 voices, and was last updated by  IrishPat 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

IrishPat

Does the Garden Club ever go to a person’s house and suggest plantings? I know nothing about landscaping and would like some expert advice about what types of plants to purchase and the best location for them. So far everything I have tryed to grow has died.

Editor

Sorry that no one from the Garden Club has contacted you yet. We don’t know if they are aware of this forum. You can contact them by calling Susan Holcomb at 255-8690.

We also have some pretty accomplished gardeners here at our office. Their advice for Diamondhead is three fold:

1. Soil amendments – Compost – Since the area’s soil is lacking in the necessary balance, it is strongly recommended that you compost as often as possible

2. Water, Water, Water, – Even though the area gets copious amounts of rain, the heat and long dry spells can be devastating. Try and keep you soil moist all year round. A automatic sprinkler or misting system has proven to be the most valuable tool in our garden.

3. Watch the temperature swings – Like the rain, the temperature can wreak havoc on plants. Be careful of too hot and too cold and be ready to move tender plants inside on 24 hour notice.

If you’d like more information, plant recommendations or maybe to borrow a cup of compost tea, give us a call, we be glad to show you our garden and offer some pointers.

Since you asked we decided to create our own gardening page. You may find further advice you need at: http://www.diamondheadnews.com/sections/gardening.htm .

Looking forward to hearing from you,

IrishPat

Gertrude – 2005-01-27 11:46 AM

Does the Garden Club ever go to a person’s house and suggest plantings? I know nothing about landscaping and would like some expert advice about what types of plants to purchase and the best location for them. So far everything I have tryed to grow has died.

I hope you got good suggestions on your garden. I know the MS ext service is a good place to visit or call for information. One time I pulled up an annoying weed that was taking over my lawn and brought it to them for identification and got good advice on how to get rid of it. They also have an extensive website of garden advice and information as well as a facebook.

lisal

The garden club may help, but I can tell you the 1st thing to do is replace yoir soil. I have nothing but red clay here and I had 1 foot in front where I Have my plants and flowers and last year we bought a hudge weeping willow and ended up putting in 6 bags of black cow. Now I have an oak in front and it is hard to get anything to grow around it. But 3 years sgo I tried some chennile and I really like that, it makes a nice small ground plant. All I do to it is weed wack it in the late fall and it comes back each year. It will grow sun, shade or anywhere you plant it. If you want some of the chanile you can call me and I can give you some cuttings.
    Lisa 342-5462

IrishPat

I concur. I bought a truck load to replace the soil in our backyard. Everything there grows well. The front of the house already had grass so I only amended the soil in two places to make small gardens and plant some crepe myrtles and 2 magnolias. That was a mistake because the tree roots have now hit clay and their growth is stunted.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.