Are golf carts the new normal for transportation in DH?

Home Forums Diamondhead Mississippi General Discussion General Topics of Interest Are golf carts the new normal for transportation in DH?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 311 voices, and was last updated by  todbjd 6 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

todbjd

I hate to open up an old wound but the number of golf carts I see passing my house daily are without golf bags or golf clubs. They are, however driven by the very young and most times the carts contain from 3 to 5 passengers. It seems the adult drivers are using the golf carts as cheap mode of transportation. Are there traffic rules (laws) for the use of golf carts in DH or is it that our crack security service is lacks on enforcement

AL49

todbjd
    Posted 2010-08-22 4:41 PM (#2979)
    Subject: Are golf carts the new normal for transportation in DH?

I just read your post and I hope this information will help.

Any and all unlicensed vehicles are illegal to use on Hancock County roads. The County roads in Diamondhead are Golf Club Drive, Kapalama Drive and as you travel westward from Golf Club Drive onto Diamondhead Derive East to Kalanai Drive. If you turn left off of Diamondhead Drive East onto Kalanai Drive you will be on a County road. But if you do not turn left onto Kalanai Drive and continue going towards the P.O.A. office that section of Diamondhead Drive East is not a County road. It is illegal to drive a Golf Cart on a County Street, Road or Highway. It is against the law to drive a golf cart in the business area. Park Ten, Leisure Time and N E Interchange are also County roads. A normal golf cart does not meet the standards of Mississippi State Law to be driven on County Roads.
    Al Hermann

sjd

with the cost of gas these days and with in a private community, as long as they are obeying traffic laws and being safe, what is wrong with the use of golf carts?

AL49

The numbers of traffic tickets that are issued in Diamondhead by the Sheriff’s Office on the county roads and the Security Guards on the private streets in Diamondhead are considerably high. With that said please understand it is NOT a violation of the law to use a golf cart on the PRIVATE STREETS in Diamondhead. The county streets in Diamondhead are not private; any lawful driver with a valid driver’s license may drive on the county streets in Diamondhead. Think about those that are not obeying traffic laws, and are not being safe. When a golf cart is hit by an automobile the person or persons in the golf cart truthfully does not stand a chance.

The worst part of a Law Enforcement Officers job is working an accident with a fatality. Knowing that our job does not end at the scene of the accident, one of us will need to notify the accident victim’s family of the death of their love one.
    Al Hermann

tmaw3

Just as a child who hunts needs a hunter’s safety course, a child under 16 should require a permit that says they’ve completed a golf-carter’s safety course (which might be able to be created by the POA for a reasonable fee). This will not ensure total safety of those young kids on carts, but it will help to keep them safer and more compliant to rules of the road.
    Is this not a good idea??

AL49

TO tmaw3: Posted 2011-06-05 11:19 AM (#2985 – in reply to #2984)
    Subject: Re: Are golf carts the new normal for transportation in DH?

Your post about “require a permit that says they’ve completed a golf-carter’s safety course”, I think you have a very good idea and you are correct “we should all care about our community.”. I suggest that the if this requirement goes into affect that the Mississippi drivers license law and the Diamondhead Rules And Regulations be researched by those issuing the permit. Remember anyone operating a Golf Cart in Diamondhead MUST have a valid drivers license. This is a “Diamondhead rule” so even on the private streets in Diamondhead the person driving a Golf Cart MUST have a valid drivers license. You have a great idea and I wish you luck with it.
    Al Hermann

todbjd

If Al Hermann’s statement is correct (anyone operating a golf cart in Diamondhead MUST have a valid drivers license). There is no need for further discussion on the matter, ticket anyone driving a golf cart who cannot produce a valid driver license. Case closed. OK DH Security & Al Hermann it’s on you.

AL49

TO todbjd:Posted 2011-06-05 7:30 PM (#2987 – in reply to #2979)
    Subject: Re: Are golf carts the new normal for transportation in DH?

I can not answer for Diamondhead Security to your comment “it’s on” but, Unlicensed drivers driving on county roads in Diamondhead have been and will continue to be issued a warning or a ticket. Those that are drunk will be charged with D.U.I and those driving a Golf Cart with suspended drivers license will be arrested and transported to the county jail. And remember it is a violation to operate a Golf Cart on a county road so if you operate a Golf Cart on a county road you will be subject to receiving a ticket for that also,
    As always I ask everyone to please obey all traffic laws. Self compliance is the only way to make our Diamondhead community roads safer. Obey the posted posted speed signs, stop signs, and all other traffic laws and we will all be safer on our private and county roads in and around Diamondhead.
    Al Hermann

Eags753

Mississippi state codes or municipal ordinances regulate traffic related laws but these regulatory codes only apply to vehicles operating on public roads and highways. They are not applicable on private roads. However, Diamondhead POA is allowed by the convents to set rules and regulation regarding vehicle operation on its private roads. It is not well known but, our state legislator Jessica Upshaw, introduced a bill in an earlier secession of the Mississippi Legislature, to allow local counties and cities the option of permitting the driving of golf carts on public streets. I would bet she was asked to pass this at the request of some Diamondhead Golfers who are anticipating a Diamondhead incorporation, fearing all streets in Diamondhead might become public. I understand the bill never got out of committee because many questioned the safety of allowing these vehicles on public roadways. The state of Florida has allowed the operation of golf carts on some public roads but I do not know what, if any, problems this has caused. I know of at least one accident in Diamondhead that resulted in a fatality to the operator of a golf cart. Perhaps there were others.

todbjd

To: Al Hermann

In an ideal world and ideal community drivers would observe and follow posted speed signs, stop signs and all other traffic laws but neither exist; thus the need for law enforcement. In the past few days I observed 2 serious infractions, young people driving golf carts loaded with passenger well beyond the vehicle’s capacity and a toddler sitting on the lap of adult golf cart driver with the child sitting on his lap steering the golf cart. These are accidents waiting to happen. Perhaps there is a lack of manpower which results in the lack of enforcement.

AL49

TO: todbjd
    I agree with you 100 % your observations are right on the mark. But, you failed to state the location you observed these 2 serious infractions. If this took place on a “PRIVATE STREET” in Diamondhead it would be an infraction of the Diamondhead rules and a law enforcement officer would have no authority to enforce the P.O.A. rule, Diamondhead Security Guards could issue a P.O.A. violation ticket. The private streets traffic enforcement in Diamondhead are enforced by Diamondhead Security. We in law enforcement can only enforce traffic laws on “PUBLIC” streets, roads and highways with the exception of DUI (DWI). If this took place on a county road in Diamondhead the operator would have been breaking the “LAW” and could have been arrested on very serious charges and taken to jail. What you have described one charge would have been Child Endangerment and the other charges would have been vehicle traffic violations.
    Perhaps there is a lack of manpower which results in the lack of enforcement.
    And you are correct once more when you state ” But this is a problem nation wide, not only in Hancock County. “In an ideal world and ideal community drivers would observe and follow posted speed signs, stop signs and all other traffic laws but neither exist; thus the need for law enforcement”. Once again you are 100% correct. Any community in out nation can and should have many more law enforcers on their streets, enforcing the laws and protecting all the citizens. But that takes money and most citizens have a mine set when it comes to paying for law enforcemend “less is best”. Like elsewhere in the United States our City Police and County Sheriff’s office are under staffed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.