boat ramp area at south side of diamondhead.

Home Forums Diamondhead Mississippi General Discussion General Topics of Interest boat ramp area at south side of diamondhead.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 695 voices, and was last updated by  wayne king 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

wayne king
    Participant

Why can’t the area around the boat ramp be cleaned up? We are planting flowers, cutting golf coarse grass, trimming and removeing trees in the medians of the roads and many other nice to do things, why can’t there be a simple contract to clean up atthe boat ramp so it can be used and be less unsitely. Even better get the DH maint. employees to take ONE day and pick it up.

I CAN ONLY SAY THAT AS A FORMER HOMEOWNNER ON THE SOUTHSIDE, THE BOAT RAMP AREA IS THE LEAST OF MY WORRIES. THE WHOLE AREA IS STILL A MESS. THE ONLY REAL CLEAN-UP HAS BEEN BY LOOTERS.

wayne king
    Participant

what has that got to do with cleaning up the boat ramp area, the golf courses got cleaned up.

barely40

I agree the ramp needs attention. Monthly dues, I know, are for more than using facilities, but the only one my husband uses is the ramp as neither of us play golf yet…and taking the grandkids to the pool..also not up. I realize homesites are more important,and don’t personally crave boating but my husband does and it’s nice to have a diversion and also to feel like you’re getting something for those fees. So pardon our little occasional self indulgences we don’t mean to lessen the gravity of your loss.Good luck with recovery.

barely40

I agree the ramp needs attention. Monthly dues, I know, are for more than using facilities, but the only one my husband uses is the ramp as neither of us play golf yet…and taking the grandkids to the pool..also not up. I realize homesites are more important,and don’t personally crave boating but my husband does and it’s nice to have a diversion and also to feel like you’re getting something for those fees. So pardon our little occasional self indulgences we don’t mean to lessen the gravity of your loss.Good luck with recovery.

wayne king
    Participant

I agree completely, I appreciate anyones tragic loss of their property and am regretfull for their loss, however as much as can be done to return to normalcy should be done and my observations of the south side of I-10 leave a lot to be desired in accomplishing what can be done in requards to cleaning up and the cost of that cleanup. They are cleaning private property along 603 and elsewhere, only leaves me to believe that cleaning up here south of I-10 is being forstalled for some reason as yet un-disclosed. Is someone looking for grandmas sugar bowl or what????? Enough looking already, lets get the place cleaned up. Nature threw us a hard curve ball, lets move on, there are many more days to enjoy in this great country of which Diamondhead is a great place to enjoy them.

Editor

According to statements made by Lisa Cowan at the March POA Board Meeting, the problem with the utilization of the boat launch is not the launch itself but that all of the canals leading from the Diamondhead Marina are clogged with debris from Katrina.

There seems to be a turf war going on between the Army Corp of Engineers and the USCG. The Corp wants to clean it up, the Coast Guard has jurisdiction and doesnt have the capabilities in place to do so.

wayne king
    Participant

Greatly appreciate your efforts in provideing and maintaining this forum for we residents to vent some flustration with the activities and progress of the Katrenia cleanup. The boat ramp area again, needs to be cleaned up from the old bar and ships store, around the demolished yatch Club all the way up to I-10. The Coast guard has nothing to do with this and if we wait for the Army Corps of Engineers to do it we will never get it done, besides did the Corps of Engineers help get our golf corses and pools done, or begin work on the country club? Debris in canals has nothing to do with utilizing the Boat Ramp or repairing the piers and walkways at the Yatch Club so they can be utilized, fail to see why painting the “Glen Eagle” sign is more necessary than cleaning up. As for the yatch club area, clean it up, fix the piers ect and use the canals at your own risk, the same as any boating activity in the sound is, there is utilization of the ramp now every day, no reason not to clean it up.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. Kudos to DN(O) for giving us all a place to vent and express. I apologize if I came off as pity-pot candidate. I don’t think that it was taken that way by anyone. I can certainly appreciate the NEED to have some normalcy brought back into all of the lives affected….which is the majority of us. In that regard, thanks to all of you for keeping me “in check”. After all, we are all in this together. Together, we can rebuild. Not just Diamondhead, but all of us affected by Katrina.

wayne king
    Participant

I agree whole heartedly , the more opinions and views that are expressed before an event is decided upon the better the decision that will ultimately benefit all. All of this is nice and cleares up anamosites that may lurk in ones feelings, however the original question remaines un addressed by any one that may have some insight and that is why the boatramp area remains a mess and not cleaned up when we are painting signs at Glen Eagle.

Eags753

It is my understanding that the Glen Eagle sign is maintained by Purcell and not the POA. If this is so then the cost of the repair and painting of this sign is not under the POA control. I have not confirmed this information but it is what I am told.

Eags753

It is my understanding that the Glen Eagle sign is maintained by Purcell and not the POA. If this is so then the cost of the repair and painting of this sign is not under the POA control. I have not confirmed this information but it is what I am told.

cutypie

Look for the **** in the below statement. That’s the important part concerning canal cleanup. We’ll probably never see it though. Too bad the barely present security force did such a good job of driving off people trying to salvage wood from the debris piles… The looters were only taking the small valuable stuff.

The South side residents D.O.G.S. http://lteaglesnest.com did the cleanup of the boat ramp and circle, not the POA. More South side residents need to get on the ball and clean their lots. The POA needs to do?? well, DO THEIR JOBS!!!-including maintaining the common areas, and enforcing some kind of order, security, activity, (do something!!!) on the South side. I was never told to stop paying dues by the POA, so if I was them, I would meet my obligations, or prepare to be held accountable. I am currently in the process of gathering documentation through the Freedom of Information Act for my lawyer and when I’m done, if there’s no progress on the South side of Diamondhead, I’m going class-action coastal (not postal) on all of them!! Below is a small sample of what has been obtained so far.

The Army Corps original mission assignment from FEMA says: “Activate and deploy the Debris Planning and Response Team (PRT) to coordinate and execute all necessary actions associated with debris clearance, removal and disposal site management from public property in the affected areas necessary to eliminate or lesson immediate threats to public health and safety, as directed by FEMA. In some instances, there may be similar requirements for debris clearance and removal from specified private property necessary to eliminate or lessen immediate threats to public health and safety. Prepare to/implement the Advance Contracting initiative or other contracting process to provide emergency debris support. This may include debris clearance and removal from critical access routes, roads, bridges, *****waterways (normally non-navigable) ***** and right-of-ways for emergency vehicles and public access. (Logistics and/or real estate support for Rights of Entry and leasing authorization may be necessary). It may include any or all of the following: pick-up, hauling and dumping of debris; segregating and reducing debris at a landfill or temporary disposal and reduction site (TDRS), hauling from a TDRS to a final disposal site, or managing a TDRS. Exact requirements will be provided by use of a Mission Specifications form from FEMA.”

Therefore, I believe the Army Corps was tasked with doing the canal cleaning. Oh, and they received $325,000,000.00 on September 9, 2005 to do it, and probably has more money by now. The Coast Guard only does removal of boats and hazardous material under its mission assignment according to the documentation I’ve received so far.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.