Broadband connection availablity in DH

Home Forums Diamondhead Technology Internet Access in Diamondhead Broadband connection availablity in DH

This topic contains 23 replies, has 886 voices, and was last updated by  raymar 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

raymar

Do we have any choices in high speed internet connections (cable modems) here in Diamondead? Monthly cost? Provider?

Editor

A new company has arrived on the scene. Smart Resort & Home is in the process of planning for a fiber optic system throughout the community.

raymar

Any guess at the time frame for a possible online date? Fiber should be much faster, depending on the setup, but at what cost? Rather than the “last mile” it will come down to the “last 100 feet” and will that still be coax or will they put fiber inside the walls?

Cable One seems to be reliable enough, just expensive. Thanks for the reply.

Editor

The information I got as of yesterday, 10/24/03, was that 3 to 6 months is the time frame for a fully operational fiber system in Diamondhead. I have also heard that the system requires board approval and there is one major hold out.

FYI, we are hosting this site using a “business account” from Cable One. We are very pleased with the connection, but the lack of static IP, they call their’s “persistant”, causes major problems that could be easily remedied.

Smart Resort and Homes will offer multiple static IPs with of course high speed internet, cable and true on demand TV, and telephone service.

Anonymous

POSTING REMOVED BY JOHN COOK ON 1-16-04

raymar

Thanks JohnCook for the new info.

Do you know what plans Smart Resorts has for carrying HDTV on the cable? Will a cable box be required or will the newer HDTVs be able to connect direct? Thanks.

raymar

For JohnCook.

Do you know what the plan is for terminating the fiber optic cable? Will it be at the homeowners wall or yard box with RG-6 coax and CAT5/6 RJ45 connections to the various appliances?

Editor

Please keep this forum updated on your progress as well. Some of us don’t get down that road very often.

Anonymous

POSTING REMOVED BY JOHN COOK 1-16-04

Editor

We know all too well the method of operations these brilliant “business people” use to restrain trade here in Diamondhead. Their actions have caused many a quality business to avoid Diamondhead all together, leaving us with little choices and mediocre service in a wide variety of areas.

We have found something interesting in our experince with legal research. Mississippi has a law against these nameless, cowards who trash businesses with alterior motives.

MS Statute 97-23-85. Unlawful restraint of trade; boycott; civil liability.

If two (2) or more persons conspire to prevent another person or other persons from trading or doing business with any merchant or other business and as a result of said conspiracy said persons induce or encourage any individual or individuals to cease doing business with any merchant or other person, and when such conspiracy is formed and effectuated because of a reasonable grievance of the conspirators over which the said merchant or place of business boycotted or against which a boycott is attempted has no direct control or no legal authority to correct, or when the conspiracy results from such alleged grievance against the merchant or other person boycotted when no notice of such grievance has been given the merchant or party boycotted and no reasonable opportunity to correct such alleged grievance has been given such merchant or other person against whom the conspiracy was formed, then each of such persons shall be guilty of the crime of unlawful restraint of trade and shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) or imprisoned for not more than two (2) years and in addition each such person shall be liable in civil action for any damages suffered by said merchant or place of business so wrongfully boycotted and also for attorney fees incurred by said merchant or person boycotted in a civil action to recover damages.

I’d love to find a couple of these “misinformed people” and give them a legal education at their expense. The problem is finding what rocks they hide under.

springrs

There must have been hundreds of residents who ‘signed’ up and said they wanted this service last October at the presentation held at the country club. If they knew they might be denied the opportunity for this service they might choose to address their disatisfaction to the Board members. I’d be glad to lick stamps and stuff envelopes to help get this information out.

Editor

Find Mr. Cook’s explanation for his actions and the Bay Jourdan Publishing Company’s reply here: http://www.diamondheadnews.com/absolutenm/templates/DheadOpinions.asp?articleid=228&zoneid=14

Editor

Find Mr. Cook’s explanation for his actions and the Bay Jourdan Publishing Company’s reply here: http://www.diamondheadnews.com/absolutenm/templates/DheadOpinions.asp?articleid=228&zoneid=14

bemused

Let me tell you how this Board seems to work. My husband has been trying to bring in a new cable TV / high speed internet / telephone service to Diamondhead since October of last year. The developers initially approached Rick Southworth and the Board with the plan, and the Board supposedly appointed T Williams to “fact-find” and report back to the Board. I say “supposedly” because at least one Board member says he doesn’t know anything about the project or T Williams being appointed to any capacity in this regard. After several meetings between T Williams and the developers, the developers became concerned with the unprofessional behavior, demands, and unrealistic claims that T Williams was making. After all, the Board sent him on a “fact finding” mission, and Board members have since said that they did not empower him to negotiate the deal, only to bring information back to the Board for further discussion. My husband contacted Becky Jordan and Lloyd Ramirez in December and asked for the opportunity to come before the entire Board and clear up any misconceptions or answer any questions they might have. It seems that the developers had been labeled as “shady characters” by someone and that perception had extended to other Board members and some POA members as well. My husband explained the necessity of an opposing opinion and simply asked for an opportunity for the Board to get the facts directly from the source. Ms. Jordan called my husband in late December and said that she had been able to get the item on the adgenda for the January meeting, but the Board had opted to “discuss it amongst themselves” and would not allow him or the developers to come before the Board at that time. The afternoon of the meeting in January, my husband contacted Ms. Jordan and asked about the outcome. Ms. Jordan informed him that they had listened to what T Williams had to say and they all agreed with his assessment and would not allow them to bring the technology into Diamondhead. Mr. Ramirez said the same thing, that they had no choice but to base their decision on what T Williams had to say since they didn’t have any other information available! Why do you think my husband went through hoops to try and come before the Board? SO THAT THEY COULD HAVE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO THEM AND MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION!! These same people have known my husband for years. They know we have a solid, thriving business here, and that we are in the process of developing additional commercial property out the back gate on Kapalama that will further enhance this community. They also should know him well enough to know he would not be involved in any shady deal and would put Diamondhead first and foremost as this has been our home for over 12 years now. How’s that for taking care of our community! This is the same T Williams that a prominent Board member described as ” pleasant and amicable one minute and a raving lunatic the next”. For the Board to only take into consideration the word of T Williams and not even allow a project developer to come before the Board is beyond my comprehension! They are so quick to raise our dues without adequate cause or explaination, yet they allow a money-making opportunity for the POA to go out the door without so much as the courtesy to the POA members to get the facts before making a decision. The developers offered to pay a yearly fee to the POA for allowing them to build the project. They also offered the POA free internet services and video security cameras placed around the community free of charge. These Board members were elected to represent the POA Membership, not just go along with T Williams because they appear to be intimidated by him. We do know that one Board member was not at the January meeting because of a family situation, but when he returned he immediately got involved and got the item back on the adgenda for the March meeting. This Board member knows how this technology will help the POA and the residents of Diamondhead, and is willing to at least give the developers a chance to come before the Board before making a decision. In all fairness to the entire Board, we do not know what the discussion amounted to or if other members of the Board spoke for or against the project at the previous meetings. I do know that my husband was told by Ms. Jordan and Mr. Ramirez that it was the decision of all Board members present at the meeting in January to reject the development. I would love to hear from other Board members as to their participation in the discussion and their feelings about what I have posted here. At any rate, if you want this technology to have a chance here in Diamondhead, I suggest you contact each Board member before the March meeting and let them know your feelings.

Editor

Your husband’s project represents a threat to the system of “plausible deniability” that has been firmly in place in Diamondhead for some time now. It would provide open access to the dues paying membership, verifiable and rapid communications would be made possible. Why we might actually get to see an “open board meeting“on the internet. We couldn’t have that, why someone may just find out who voted for those dues increases.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.