considering moving to diamondhead….please help

Home Forums Diamondhead Clubs and Organizations Diamondhead Community Association considering moving to diamondhead….please help

This topic contains 26 replies, has 1,232 voices, and was last updated by  tdredbone 12 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

tdredbone

My husband and I are thinking about moving from new orleans and would really love some information on diamondhead. We have two elementary age children. If anyone could direct me to a good source of information I would be very appreciative. I am interested in fees and dues associated with this community, activities for young children, schools, shopping for groceries etc.

jsrd

to cfrazier:
    My husband and I moved to Diamondhead 6 years ago and are very happy living here. It is a quiet, safe, lovely community. As to fees, you will have Property Owner’s Dues (like a city property tax) each year – but we all pay the same amount – $660.00. You will have Hancock County property taxes, based on the value of your home, with Homestead Exemptions available. Monthy fees are the usual metered Water and Sewer fees, plus a $20.00 per month fee to the Fire Department, plus a trash pickup fee.

There is a drug store and small grocery store right here in Diamondhead. Also a Post Office and several banks as well as several retail specialty shops. There are shopping malls, home centers and large grocery stores within a comfortable drive (10 – 20 miles) of Diamondhead. There are also several recreation areas with pools, tennis courts, ball fields, and so forth within the community and all property owners are entitled to use these facilities.

It is a wonderful place to raise a family or be retired or working “empty-nesters” or whatever your time in life. Hope you and your family decide to move over and become part of our community.

springrs

My wife and I moved here three years ago and have been retired a little over a year. We are very happy here. However we wish there weren’t so many more new homes being built because of the number of lots being cleared and trees coming down but that just confirms that others feel the same way we do about wanting to live here.

GeorgieGirl

My husband and I are also considering moving to Diamondhead. Can anyone say why there are so many properties on the market for sale. Realor.com is currently showing 475. That would be at least 15%. Is this the normal turnover rate?

springrs

It certainly doesn’t appear to be so many from our perspective…only a handfull of the 2000+ homes have signs out each weekend for our regular ‘open house’ days. Maybe a realtor could give you better information on that. Word is that Stennis, our NASA site a few miles down the road on I-10, and a new industrial park supporting it, are set to expand so demand for Diamondhead homes should greatly increase. Just email back if you need any more info.

springrs

The info in this thread is current and accurate except for a recent increase in fire of $5 a month. Hancock county schools have a really good reputation from what my neighbors with children say. Our realtor is great, been here for 20+ years, and should be able to answer any other questions or just send me another email and I’ll try.

GeorgieGirl

Thanks for replying Springrs. My husband is a realtor here in Jackson MS, so I’d rather not request info from an agent. I obviously don’t have anything against them. It’s that it isn’t in their best interest to dish out the dirt, if there is any. If you don’t mind a few more questions:
    Is your water kind of brown like in Bay St. Louis?
    Are snakes a problem?
    Some houses on the market there claim to have “natural gas.” Do they really mean propane or butane? I suppose propane and butane are “natural” but to most of us that means it is piped in by the gas company.

Editor

The water is crystal clear in Diamondhead and very expensive. It is not crystal clear how it got that way.

I have confronted more snakes in New Orleans before moving here 18 years ago. Many of the two legged variety have even moved here and are some of the most venomous known to exist. Not to say that all that come from that great city are reptiles, but a few are.

Propane is the order of the day if you want to cook with gas. Two companies supply it in the area and it requires a tank and some plumbing. “Natural gas” can be found in the close proximity of any POA board of directors meetings and can cause nausea if inhaled.

GeorgieGirl

Thanks Editor! I got some real chuckles from your response. I’m well aware that snakes are walking around in D’head, since I’ve been contemplating a move there for several years and reading other forums on the net. It scares me a little. Now I’m retiring at the end of May ’04 and want to move closer to my childhood home, BSL.

On another thread someone hinted that there may be restrictions about running a business from a residence. I’ve read the covenent summary on this site and don’t see a problem. I hope to continue my home-based business when I move. I’d rather not say what it is since I haven’t seen any evidence that my service is currently being offered there and don’t want anyone to jump in ahead of me. It involves only phone work from my home (clients call me) and my service is performed at their residence. All is totally legal, moral and ethical. It is only a part-time little business to make a little spare change. I intend to be a lady of leisure! Are you aware of any restrictions on home-based businesses?

springrs

I see you’ve ‘met’ our website’s editor already. Here’s my input. The water is good as far as I can tell from appearance and taste. We have a few snakes…mostly black (good to have around) and once in a while someone sees a copperhead in my neighborhood. I have no idea about the gas question since we don’t use it. Please feel free to write again with any other questions I can help with.

Editor

Since we have had a few inquiries about home based businesses in Diamondhead we have started a new forum addressing the subject at http://www.diamondheadnews.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=75&posts=1#0. We will be copying your prior post to this location and answering it shortly.

MARC MASEMAN

2 YRS LATER AND PROPERTY VALUES ARE UP 50%. ANY INPUT TO A RETIREE THINKING ABOUT MOVING TO DIAMONDHEAD. COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME A SHORT LIST OF RESPECTABLE, RELIABLE, NEW HOME BUILDERS IN DIAMONDHEAD? A LOCAL TITLE/MORTGAGE COMPANY THAT WON’T ROB ME? A LOCAL REAL ESTATE PERSON WHOM DOES NOT CARRY VASELINE IN THEIR HAND WHILE SHOWING PROPERTIES?

THANK YOU,

MARC

springrs

I can vouch for Betsy Nolan with Century 21. She was our agent four years ago. We’ve stayed in touch since then as neighbors and I’d trust her completely. Sorry but no other answers to your questions.

Anonymous

Hello,

We moved here 3.5 years ago. We have children that attend the elementary, middle and high school. The Elementay school is great, the middle is terrible and the high school is OK. The high school has a 30% drop out rate which they are very proud of……it was 50% a few years ago.

There is a play ground and pools that the children can enjoy. It is a quiet safe community. Being a retirement community, more emphasis is put on the golf course than the facilities for youth,

Betsy Nolan was our realtor too. She was great!

Linda King

There are some very good builders in the area and some very bad ones also, whatever you do, do not pay for anything untill it is completed or there is a “pay for completed work” schedule agreed to befor starting work. Hire an Architect to oversee the work and make reccomendations on payment. When you buy your lot, go knocking on your neighbors doors, get reccomendations on a builder, the Architect can help you with this also. It is also benifical to get more than one price.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.