Demographics – Copied from another thread

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc The VCC Demographics – Copied from another thread

This topic contains 18 replies, has 861 voices, and was last updated by  Eags753 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Eags753

We should all remember the demographics have changed dramatically in Diamondhead. We have less homeowners and many more renters. It is not to say that renters are less desirable it is just that renters usually do not have the same concerns and are not involved in the community as homeowners are. The stakes are different. I also do not believe our security has risen to the challenge of additional crime in the area. And….it may not be their fault. The POA board has placed too much emphasis on traffic enforcement, parking tickets, fines, etc. and not enough on patrol and observation measures. I have heard members of the VCC brag about the money they are taking in from the violators. Trust me, it is all about the $ not the community. As a 28 year retired law enforcement veteran I can personally vouche for Deputy Hermann’s honesty and competency. I encourage anyone with information regarding criminal acitivity to share that info with Deputy Hermann. Citizen involment is one of a criminal’s worse fears.

donho

Bob, I am a member of the VCC .

The subject of money from fines has never been discussed in my presence. Under certain conditions fines are suspended for one year. Our sole purpose is to try to improve the quality of life in Diamondhead. We do our best to get residence to consider theirs neighbors over dogs, noise, property conditions,and etc. prior to any fine.
    For safety we do encourage security to enforce traffic rules. Speeding is a big problem in many areas.

Who did you hear say what???? $$$$????

wayne king
    Participant

Don, maybe you can clarify something for me and other curious residents. Where exactly does the POA VCC committee get its statute authority to issue punishment for violations (fines)? As far as I know no one is a judge or recognized or trained as such by the state of Mississippi or granted some kind of judicial authority with appropriate training by the legislature of Mississippi. The only punishment I know of in the Diamondhead paperwork nightmare of covenants, by laws or whatever, is “expulsion” meaning a loss of voting privileges etc. but no monetary fines. However are you aware of the meaning of the word “extortion”? Look it up might be very interesting.

Eags753

I was a member of the VCC for six years prior to this administration. Many times the chairperson (Hilda) of the committee I served with gave us the total fines collected and expressed what a good job the committee was doing in bring in the money and bragging about out the funds were supplementing the budget. You certainly have my permission to ask Hilda or other former members for confirmation. She was a good chairperson but I think sometimes a little misguided. For the record I openly expressed my opinion that we were formed to insure compliance of the rules and regulations of Diamondhead not to make money for Diamondhead. I viewed the large amounts of fines as an indication we were not successful in having residents comply as evident by the increase in violations and fines. I was often at odds with other members of the committee who wanted to rubber stamp all actions of the security officers (at the residents expense) and I opposed, in writing, many of the rules implemented by the board I did not believe were fair to the residents of Diamondhead. If request, I will gladly give you more details. I believed then as I believe now that it is about the money and the residents have very little chance of a fair hearing with the VCC. And can you explain under what conditions one residents has a fine suspended and another residents must pay? What is the criteria in this decision process? Since you have been on the committee how many residents were found not in violation and their fines dismissed? An approximate number (if any) will be fine. Thanks.

Eags753

Wayne King:

As far back as when Richard Weber was POA president I posed the same questions (in writting) you are now asking. I also questioned what authority the POA board had and under what statue did they believe they were authorized to give police powers to the security officers. Of course, I received no reply. There is no law in Mississippi that allows a security officer to stop and detain any vehicle. If they feel it is necessary to stop anyone they can only do so as a “private citizen”. That means they are not acting as an agent of Diamondhead but rather acting only as a citizen. I will bet you a dime to a donut the POA board has never given security personnel a written job description that requires them to stop and detain motorist. I’ll also bet, not if but when, a lawsuit comes the security personnel will find themselves under the bus. I have suggested the Board research this matter but………..they already know everything. Right.

wayne king
    Participant

Again Eads, you have hit the nail on the head. Numerous fines and high monitory results of these fines is an indicator of failure of to have public support for efforts to improve safety etc. or whatever is the focus of the "rules" being cited. It is also however, an indicator of success in fleecing the constituency. If it didn’t all go to support an inflated cost of golf ops and the country club there might be more support. I see fines etc. only as another (probably illegal) revenue source to support the golf ops and country club while ignoring the 500 lb gorilla in the room, which is the deficit those amenities continually operate with due to undercharging the users.

donho

At most meeting one or two citations are dismissed. Three or four fines are suspended for one year. I can’t comment on what took place when you were on the committee. I know how we conduct ours. I have been asked for help from people I know. When someone I know comes before us I leave the room with no comment except I know this person. This VCC are as fair a group as you will fine.
    By the way, I was bitten by a dog Saturday morning while on my golf cart. A young lady was walking her dog. On the golf course. Not on a leash. If I was interested in fine money or money it was there. I was angry. But I just told her that she had to keep her dog on a leash.
    Neighbors considering neighbors and we all have a better life.

Eags753

Can not argue that neighbors should not have consideration for one another. Of course you are correct but unfortunately this is not a perfect world. Am please to know you have the integrity to not sit in judgement when the accused resident is a friend. I did the very same thing when I was on the committee and it is the only appropriate think to do. Other than the rudness and argumentive style shown by one of the members of the VCC (Roundtree) I believe you are all motivated by a desire to make Diamondhead a better place to live. I just think some on the rules are not fair, unreasonable and the committee sometimes oversteps it boundries and needs to be eventually challeged by a real court of law where due process is respected and allowed. And………it is coming I assure you. Buckle your seatbelt.

wayne king
    Participant

Again Don, where is the authority of the VCC stated that allowes it to obtain fines for enfractions of POA Covenants, By-laws or what ever the fine is being levied for. I acknowledge “expulsion” as a proper vehicle for controll by the POA, however I cannot locate any covenant or bylaw approved by 85% of the members that provides for collection of fines. I also think you all should look to fineing the POA board for not takeng proper action to eliminate deficit spending on Golf ops, and takeing nongolfing residents money to pay for golfing residents play (missappropiation).

wayne king
    Participant

DON, still researching the covenant, bylaw or whatever that gives authority to charge fines or any punishment other than expulsion for “violations”? Be asking again soon, keep track people I am very curious where the authority for leving fines is located in our companies documents.

donho

Understand I’m not a Lawyer and can’t give a legal opinion This is what I read:

Article XIV “Traffic Regulation” states: Declarant shall have the right and power to establish and enforce rules and regulations governing the operation of vehicles ……………including fines for violations of such rules or regulations.

Article XV “Charges and Assessments” states: Each purchaser of a lot or lots in the subdivision shall by acceptance of a deed………to pay all charges and assessments

There is a lot of verbiage I did not copy but it is an available filed public document written in understandable English .

What I don’t understand is when a person selects Diamondhead, a regulated community, how they can believe they can select which condition apply to them on any given day. This is not a rural community. Your dogs must be on a leash. They can’t bother your neighbor. You must follow the traffic rules. Your yard can’t be junk yard. Why can’t we just be good neighbors. I would like to never see a fine levied.

wayne king
    Participant

Thanks Don for the articles and research effort we need more explanitation from the board, the more that is done in the open and explained prior to execution reduces desention. I do agree with leash laws and just because a dog is on a leash I dont think he should be pooping in my yard or public areas. Keep it in the dog owners yard, if he is being walked, pick it up, my lawn mower does not appreciate it (even if use of the mower is infrequent).

Eags753

donho:

Just wanted to tell you I think you are a stand up guy. A lot of posters run, hide and you never hear from them again when the questions become difficult. Your responce and sharing your views is appreciated. You have earned my respect.

wayne king
    Participant

I agree, thanks again Don.

mrg15968

I have lived in Diamondhead for 3 years now, and do enjoy the area. I do not, however, enjoy the ever increasing fees that we are having to pay to live here. From what I continue to read and hear, I whole-heartedly agree that the golf ops / club should be separated from the POA. Why does it seem fair that the VAST majority of Diamondhead residents that do not play golf have to support a failing business? It should be like all businesses – succeed or fail. Isn’t this something that can be put to a vote by the residents? Maybe all the money that will be saved on the golf ops could be used for improved security…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.