Diamondhead Police

This topic contains 18 replies, has 558 voices, and was last updated by  mwdcast 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

mwdcast

Why do we have to endure higher taxes to support a police department that hangs out at uncle joes pizza for hours at a time? they can deny it but just drive by any time and you are sure to see at least two patrol cars parked there. I know people have to eat, but come on we have a whole city and the safest place out there is out of city limits. any one else see the problem?

lisal

I agree with u. I drive the back way quite often and I see them parked at Uncle Joes all the time. ):

Squaredeal

Just saw two of them today..either they are there, or the gas stations, or hiding out someplace..this is indicative of quality officers, huh?
    I reiterate..we do not need a police force here, and if we did,I would highly recommend they not consider any of these in Hancock County.

vsimons
    Participant

POLICE DEPT., on the Agenda, AGAIN:

COUNCIL WORK SESSION; City Hall: July 11, 2013; 9:00 a.m.

13. REGULAR AGENDA
    g.2013-2075-Discussion of Enforcement of Ordinance Creating a Police Department.
    h.2013-2085-Discussion of Sheriff’s Department Contract.

http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/07.11.13%20W%20S.pdf

Elena Weber
    Participant

Sure looks like Sislow is for the police force as evidenced by his comments at the work session yesterday. At the budget meeting this past Tuesday, the mayor and council were heavily leaning for continuing the contract with the sheriff for the next year. Hope Sislow loses this one, big time.

Michael Schaefer
    Participant

Ms Weber,

I asked the Sheriff for financial data that he had reviewed and approved relative to costs for providing safety & security to Diamondhead residents. Hadn’t received a response yet.

vsimons
    Participant

In the draft City budget, there is an $83,000+ cost for a police TRANSITION TEAM” which is NOT included in 4 or the 6 “police budget scenarios” (developed by Mr. Rose and his people) for having our own INTERNAL POLICE FORCE.
    The extra $83K is for a “Chief”, “Grants Coordinator”, and “Procedural Assistant” for 6 months to do again what Weatherford and his “Transition Team” were doing prior to the primary election, after which Weatherford and his “team” left abruptly. “DOUBLE-TEAMING”?

Squaredeal

My opinion, for what it’s worth, is…we definitely do not need a police force here in Diamondhead, and in particular, the ones that I have been seeing on the job..(sic) when I do see one .The caliber of people sent here to keep us safe leaves much to be desired..I don’t consider hiding (entrapment) to write tickets for stop signs good use of law enforcement.As I said, my opinion.They are way overpaid.

vsimons
    Participant

Internal Police, 4 scenarios developed by the City Manager, in the budget that’s up for approval Monday night, Aug. 5, 6pm.
    If the council votes for the Internal Police option, the City Manager will hire and supervise the Chief and other officers, AND it will cost way more than the contract with the Sheriff. Councilman Sislow seems to be strongly advocating our very own Internal Police, the other councilmen MAY be more reasonable.

vsimons
    Participant

Squaredeal,
    Current FY14 Budget draft shows court fines won’t cover court costs, even with increased ticketing: Why not just use County Court, which cities under 10,000 pop. can do? Who pays for the extra cost vs. revenue? You and me.

MUNICIPAL COURT:
    line items 22 & 61. Revenue = $24,000; expenditure = $83,296.

vsimons
    Participant

INTERESTING ONLINE ACTIVITY: WATCH THE POPS:
    Watching the pops this evening, when “Police”, “church purchase” and “anonymous letters” threads get a new DNOL post, several of the usual suspects immediately go online to read and scout for the old regime. Bond holders? vocal animal abusers? anonymous letter writers? Watch who logs on, note their online names, and take a look at their old posts on Police, animal ordinance, etc.

Squaredeal

I am in total agreement with you.Vsimons

vsimons
    Participant

Wonder what’s in the new City BUDGET re Church lease, Police Scenario? We MIGHT find out tomorrow evening: Council Meeting, City Hall, August 5, 2013; 6:00pm.

Item 12. d.2013-3001-Motion to ACCEPT the Form and Advertise the Proposed FY 2014 BUDGET as Required by Miss Code Ann §27-39-203.

13.Citizens Wishing to Address Council, Non-Agenda Items Limit of 3 min. per person.

Full Agenda: http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/08.05.13.pdf

vsimons
    Participant

Tonight the City Council voted to continue the contract with the Hancock County Sheriff for Fiscal Year 2014, which begins Oct. 1, 2013. THANKS Councilmen, for listening to the majority of residents’ opinions and NOT RUSHING INTO a costly “transition team” leading to a more costly and complicated “internal police force” in our first years as a City. There is NO REASON to RUSH into such costly programs. Thanks to ALL of you for being reasonable and listening to your constituents.

benmike60

Good News!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.