Diamondhead Safer?

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead Diamondhead Safer?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 353 voices, and was last updated by  Editor 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Editor

A Letter to the Editor (read below) published in the local paper that also publishes the Diamondhead News print edition makes assertions that things are wonderful in Diamondhead. Any comments?

Diamondhead is still a wonderful place to live and safer since the city took over. People are no longer driving more than 50 mph in a 30 mph zone. Stop signs and yield signs are being observed and people are rethinking alcohol consumption before driving.

Please become informed before writing the newspaper. Swimming pool fees are regulated by the POA, not the city.

The fees have not changed. POA members do not pay a fee and there is a $2 fee for guests. Also, originally there was a $10 (not $20) fee to hold a garage sale which has now been eliminated. Fees paid have been returned.

One does need to get a permit to learn about sign and parking requirements for a garage sale. You are not to have more than two garage sales a year. Some people were doing multiple garage sales and neighbors complained.

After a deduction of $180 (which should have been greater) in POA dues, the city taxes are reduced.

Agreed, it seems we are paying too much in county taxes since our home values have declined. People can ask to have their property reappraised.

In response to the person who wrote in the Sound Off that people and businesses are leaving Diamondhead because of the city is not true. Three new businesses are coming to Diamondhead, and I know of no resident who left because of the city. Those unelected officials are doing a phenomenal job and most people hope they will soon be elected officials, including me.

CARRIE PERKINS

Diamondhead

Eags753

Can you tell us where you are getting the information that Diamondhead is safer now than it was before incorporation? How do you know that drivers that were once driving 50mph are no longer speeding? How do you know drivers under the influence of alcohol are fewer than before incorporation? How do you know residents are observing stop signs more now than before incorporation? Do you have statistics, law enforcement records, studies, etc. to back up your claims? If you do, which I doubt, I would very interesting in seeing them. My guess is you don’t really know but would like to convince the voters, for some reason, that conditions are wonderful and we should continue with the present officials. If it is only your opinion I respect your opinion but believe you should express it is only your view and what you perceive to be the case. I disagree with your assumptions and believe the crime rate as not changed at all, there is still speeding
    on the streets of Diamondhead, running of stop signs and driving under the influence still occurs at the same rate as before incorporation. I respect the sheriff’s deputies and believe they sincerely want to do a good job but to say their presence has impacted Diamondhead in the way you state just is not realistic. And to further claim the city officials are responsible for the changes you perceive is also not realistic. The present officials promised, after their questionable appointments, they would not seek the offices in a general election. The petitioners claimed the city would be operated on 8 mils. it is now 32 mils and expected to grow. They made major decisions, signed contracts, hired unnecessary personnel, selected them in an unprofessional manner and have refused to answer questions posed by contributors to this web site. The offices they were appointed (?) to should have been held in trust until true officials, with the voters mandate were seated. Not the kind of people I want to continue in office.

JFlect

Boy what a perfect assessment of conditions in Diamondhead! I was going to take exception with some of your comments i.e. (does she stand by the stop signs and see how many stop now than before the great City solved all the problems in Diamondhead) but the list is just too long. Let’s just say we heard this song before when the appointed city officials made false claims of the many “problems” we had and how they were going solved them, a very good example of the Obama school of Government. The present officials were self-appointed and assured us as such they would not run. Only 2 kept their promise. A truly remarkable job of deceit. Fool me once…

TomLaird

This weekend was the first time I have gone to the Country Club’s 19 hole. There was certainly a lot of booze being dunk. I asked a guy sitting at the bar who had consummed several drinks if the cops were bad about checking them when they left the club??? He told he didn’t have to worry because he came in his golf cart. O really so it’s ok to drink and drive or have a open container as long as you’re running around on the streets in a cart! Well with the new speed limit maybe I should invest in a golf cart and get drunk and have a big time cruising around………………!

AL49

BEFORE THE DUI AND GOLF CART THING GETS OUT OF HAND PLEASE LET ME SUGGEST SOMETHING TO READ.

LETS START WITH MISSISSIPPI CODE TITLE 63 MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC REGULATIONS CHAPTER 11 IMPLIED CONSENT LAW.
    READ ALL OF 63.11 STARTING WITH 63.11.1 READING EVERYTHING THROUGH TO 63.11.53. NOW LETS GO BACK AND READ 63.11.30 JUST ONE MORE TIME.

I WOULD ALSO SUGGEST READING 63.7.91 THROUGH TO 63.7.101. IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO READ UP ON THE DIAMONDHEAD CITY LAWS IN REGARDS TO THE USE OF GOLF CARTS IN THE CITY OF DIAMONDHEAD.

HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS BECAUSE COP’S LIKE ME TRULY DO NOT LIKE TO GIVE ANYONE A TICKET.

AL HERMANN

Lulu29
    Participant

Hmmmm….Rose Colored Glasses….unrealistic for sure!! My thoughts have been well stated my Mr. Eags and JFlect….more of the same from those that sooo wanted a city. The best part is to watch those folks that were pro-city complain and THEN say they never supported it!

FortunateOne

Rose colored glasses? You mean through the bottom of empty old fashion glasses after quite a few doubles.

The same phenomenon happened after Watergate. Even though Richard Nixon won in a landslide, no one admits voting for him.

http://www.citynomore.com

TomLaird

Thanks Al, I read the titles and hope you’all enforce it. If those folks do have or cause a wreck someone could really get hurt in a cart. So, if you have a road block I guess you are going to check them as well.

Eags753

Tom, thought might find this informational and interesting:

Office of the Attorney General
    State of Mississippi
    Opinion No. 2007-00315

June 15, 2007

Re: Application of the Implied Consent Law As to the Operation of Riding Lawnmowers

Boyd P. Atkinson, Esquire
    Municipal Court Judge
    P. O. Box 427
    Cleveland, MS 38732
    or Golf Carts on Public Roads

Dear Judge Atkinson:

Attorney General Jim Hood has received your request and has assigned it to me for research and reply. You ask if the Implied Consent Law is applicable to persons operating a golf cart or riding lawnmower on city streets.

Section 63-11-30(1) of the Mississippi Code provides that, It is unlawful for any person to drive or otherwise operate a vehicle within this state who (a) is under the influence of intoxicating liquor, drugs or controlled substances, or other substances impairing one’s ability to operate a vehicle. Although this section refers only to vehicle it is evident that Title 63, Chapter 11, The Implied Consent Law, is referring to a motor vehicle. See Section 63-11-5(1); Section 63-11-7; Section 63-11-8; Section 63-11-23 et al.

As set forth in MS AG Op., Gay (July 25, 2006):
    Section 63-3-103(b) states: Motor vehicle means every vehicle which is self-propelled and every vehicle which is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. The term motor vehicle shall not include electric personal assistive mobility devices. Section 63-3-103(h) defines electric assistive mobility device as a self-balancing two-tandem wheeled device, designed to transport only one (1) person, with an electric propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device to fifteen (15) miles per hour.

Although it is a question of fact as to whether a particular vehicle meets the definition of motor vehicle, this office is of the opinion that 4-wheelers, all terrain vehicles, go carts, dune buggies, golf carts and riding lawn mowers are motor vehicles…

It is therefore the opinion of this office that an individual operating a golf cart or riding lawnmower (if not an implement of husbandry) on city streets is subject to the Mississippi Implied Consent Law.
    Sincerely,

Jim Hood
    Attorney General

By: James Y. Dale
    Special Assistant Attorney General

2007 WL 2285372 (Miss.A.G.)

END OF DOCUMENT

Term Best Section

2013 Thomson Reuters. No Claim to Orig. U.S. Govt. Works.

Doc 8 of 86
    Cite List

TomLaird

Thanks Bob, yea I found that on line yesterday. So I am somewhat informed of the fact. Will it be enforced or not is to be found out in the future. I am really against roadblocks and powers to be stepping on our rights and freedom. I have worked in third world counties were you could be shot at a roadblock. Or detained while your papers and passport were taken away and you just sat around wondering what will happen next. I am totally against more goverment of any sort, local or other wise. Limited goverment and less confusion. Just look how simple our tax codes are now, OMG and here we go with the new city etc. Gee will people ever learn.

Eags753

Amen Tom!!

Eags753

I learned yesterday our new police chief has plans to bring one capt., two lieutenant’s and two sergeants from the Gulfport Police Department to Diamondhead as new hires. We were concerned about being taken over by Bay St. Louis or Waveland but it seems we are being taken over by Gulfport and Harrison County. Diamondhead becoming a city appears to be an economic boom for our neighbors. Much of our tax dollars and flying to Harrison County. Do we need a change in leadership or what?

TomLaird

Gosh, now we’re going to need machine guns, armored cars, K9 dogs and unit, a seal team six plus plus we’ll need a real BIG jail or maybe a prison. With all the cops look on the bright side,,,, we’ll get a donut shop. What we really need is just Andy and Barney this thing is out of control.

TomLaird

Could someone clear up the water right issue, I can’t find anything on my deed saying that I gave them up to someone else. Is there anything else that I don’t own under my feet or over my head that I paid for?????

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.