dues for nothing

This topic contains 623 replies, has 13,348 voices, and was last updated by  lisal 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 624 total)
  • Author

lisal

I think the city should take over parks and rec. We are paying $65 a month to use a pool for approx 4-5 months a year. Everything else is extra!!!

Even if you want to use the park large enough to have a party, family reunion ect is over at the 2 lakes, thatis $50.00 extra.

I can spend $38.00 a month for Nautilus and you get an indoor pool and excercise year round. So why spend $65 for nothing.

wayne king
    Participant

POA fees have long been a thorn in the side of non golfer property owners in Diamondhead. It is a somewhat golfing community, and a property owner should expect some of their fee to be expended in maintenance of the courses, they never signed up however to fund a multi year program of improvement renovations costing hundreds of thousands of dollars while golfers continue to play, it is said, the cheapest golf on the coast, talk about bending your neighbors over a barrel. Some of our POA fee goes to support the Country Club and its bar, It also loses a unnecessary amount of money because drinks are over pored and other excesses to drinkers. Poor management and unreasonable customer expectations is probably the reasons here. Its just another bend the property owner over the barre deal and no end in sight and normal Bar business cost control measures continue to be not implemented. The POA officer majority are mostly Diamondhead Golf Association members, most are well qualified knowledgeable individuals, they should be able to ascertain the problems with cost and losses because a blind man can see it in the budget releases, I guess integrity and a desire for fair dealing are lost somewhere around the Tee Box.

teled

If it is the cheapest golf on the coast-why does it continue to lose money on a yearly basis? I have lived in other subdvisions where the POA dues were much less if you didn’t use certain amenities like the pool, tennis courts, golf course or country club, basically a pay as you go system-that way at least each homeowner was contributing to such things as road upkeep, drainage & such. Here-you must pay for everything (use it or not) AND be charged additional fee if you do decide to use them. Now streets are turned over to city & that just means MORE money out our pockets-do we get more services-NO!! Something has to change & soon or I will no longer call Diamondhead home-and the fleeing will begin!

Pelican1

It all come down to this did they break the contract we signed or did they break the law I say to both

Pelican1

HELLO HELLO this is a test of the only three people who may have a clue ready DID YOU KNOW THERE IS NO POA?

Jenndm74

Maybe I am naive about these things, but I do believe it is a rip off to pay $65 per month to only use the pool, which is only available a few months a year. My family uses no other Diamondhead amenities, such as golf, country club, tennis courts, or anything else. I do believe $65 is quite a bit to pay for use of the pool when we do only use it for at most 5 months out of the year. And on top of that, if we ever have family visiting from out of state, we have to “purchase” additional passes for them. Can’t they just be our guest? Aren’t we known as the hospitality state? I just don’t get it. I personally don’t care about golf or the country club. Why should our dues go to these? I do want the best for Diamondhead as we grow, but I think in the best interest of the residents, I believe we should only have to pay based on what amenities we use. This is just my opinion. I wonder how many people agree with me? Thanks for your time.

Raven

I agree with you wholeheatedly. I have been living in Diamondhead for ten years and am extremely upset about the amount of dues we have to pay. We would promised that after Diamondhead became a city, that our dues would be reduced. That seemed to give some sense of relief and fair play about the amounts we pay. Our dues went down a little over $10.00 per month, and yet we still don’t see any purpose for paying so much for them. We, too, only use the pools, and we only have used them a time or two since we have been here. I ask the POA to review the policies and the amounts that each family is required to pay, since some of use the immenities and some of us don’t.

KenFromDMHD
    Participant

Yes, LOTS of dues for nothing. Especially considering that the Entity known as Diamondhead Property Owners Association doesn’t even hold title to the golf course and the country club. Would be nice to have an independent audit of how the money is spent … i.e. not one run and controlled by Purcell. With the right folks in as NEW City Council, maybe we could get involved in auditing these rouge government entities ( and POAs ). Just a thought.

agc409
    Participant

The argument, “I do not use the facility, therefore I should not have to pay for it” is a little silly. The majority of my property tax bill goes toward the local school district, but I have no children so have never used the school system. Therefore, my property taxes should be reduced accordingly. Same thing, is it not?

john

Touche!

Squaredeal

Not really, consider this..ANYONE who has a Silver Slipper card can use the same facilities you use, and pay no dues at all.The Poa even advertises on Television that the public is welcome, come on out.So, I ask, whay are we paying any dues at all? we shouldn’t be..I live on a County road that is county maintained, and the POA does exactly NOTHING for me.I have been here 14 years now, and never have I seen so many crooks under one roof..same goes for that maverick fire dept.

FortunateOne

How short sighted can you get? The education of our society is an obligation that we all share, for us and our children. The benefits of a golf course, country club, swimming pools and tennis courts to our civilization is less than zero. If you think America and your life style can survive without education you need to go to take a class.

teled

agree fortunateone-helping to pay for the education of children is NOT the same as helping to pay for someone to hang out on a golf course!

Eags753

Are we not subsidizing the general public’s drinks and meals? They can enjoy the low cost alcoholic beverages, meals and beautiful facility at an affordable price thanks to our dues. Perhaps a visitors previlege fee could be charged. Doesn’t a guest have to pay a fee to enjoy the pools? Come on POA board, wake up.

agc409
    Participant

FortunateOne – 2013-05-04 9:23 AM

How short sighted can you get? The education of our society is an obligation that we all share, for us and our children. The benefits of a golf course, country club, swimming pools and tennis courts to our civilization is less than zero. If you think America and your life style can survive without education you need to go to take a class.

First, there is no need to attack. Second, there is no reason adults with no children should pay to put your kid(s) through school, that is a parental obligation and frankly I’m a little bored being told I am responsible for the financial obligations of others. What is my return on investment?

And I don’t get so much as a thank you?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 624 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.