Establishing a Police Dept. on CC agenda

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead Establishing a Police Dept. on CC agenda

This topic contains 73 replies, has 1,463 voices, and was last updated by  vsimons 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author

vsimons
    Participant

6/3/13: TONIGHT, 6pm, City Hall, City Council, Agenda Item 8.b. 2013-2045
    Presentations:
    Establishing a Police Department for the City of Diamondhead.

MRIBT2

I can’t believe the outgoing mayor and council would move forward with this issue, which is vital to the community well being, when both of the mayoral candidates or the challenging council candidates do not support an independent police force for Diamondhead at this time. They are both on record for supporting the current Sheriff services. It that right Mr. Fletcher and Mr Schafer? And challenging council persons?

Squaredeal

I recommend you people cancel this meeting..the Sheriff’s Dept does a good job that doesn’t cost us an arm and a leg, and there is too much “god ol boy” shenanigans going on anyway

Travelkids
    Participant

Had any of you bothered come to the city council meeting you would have heard a number of very good reasons to have our own Diamondhead Police Force.
    Golly Gee, you could have even stood up and spoken against establishing a Diamondhead Police Force. Imagine that!!! Actually speaking up! What a concept!!
    But hey, I guess the future of Diamondhead can’t compete with watching “The Bachelorette” or “The Voice” on TV.
    Diamondhead needs to take charge of its own destiny and not be subject to the whims and policies of the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

mrg15968

If you were there, what was decided? I was unable to attend due to previous commitments.

rohboat
    Participant

Well Bob it’s like this: The reasons for not getting into this have been stated over and over again.
    Tell the truth you just want to ram in down our throats
    You think you have the right to Jack us around as much as you want.

Squaredeal

I can give you many reasons we don’t need a Police Force.Money is by far one of the biggest, then we have the Sheriff’s Dept taking care of dDiamondhead.The only so-called Diamondhead cops I saw were the ones hiding at the Shell or Chevron station while thew Daytona 500 was being held on Golf Club Dr..The epitome of incompetence..I sure as hell don’t want any of my tax dollars paying these donut eaters.

Travelkids
    Participant

There may be some misinformation concerning the issue of the Hancock County Sheriff’s department providing protection for the City of Diamondhead.
    When Diamondhead became a city, the POA no longer provided security except for POA facilities.
    The City of Diamondhead signed an Interlocal Agreement with the Hancock County Sheriff’s department to provide Hancock County Sheriff patrolman within the city of Diamondhead at an annual cost, to the city of Diamondhead, of over $1,038,000 dollars per year…in other words, we are NOT getting “free” protection from the Hancock County Sheriff’s department.
    As far as I understand, the Diamondhead police cars you see at either the Shell or Chevron station, are manned by Hancock County Sheriff’s department personnel, NOT Diamondhead police. And as Hancock County employees, the City of Diamondhead has absolutely no input or control as far as who patrols our street, or of any recourse should there be an issue. They are Hancock County employees, not City of Diamondhead employees.
    At the City Council meeting last Monday, June 3rd, 2013, a detailed cost analysis was provided to the attendees of the meeting showing that having an internal police force would actually be less expensive than continuing with the Interlocal agreement now in place.
    But then again, most of Diamondhead did not bother to attend the meeting to become an INFORMED citizen…..
    I further found it interesting that having our own internal police department is a “bargain” according to a highly respected law enforcement officer.
    Whether you are pro Police or Pro Sheriff, I would encourage all who are interested in knowing the issues involved concerning the Sheriff verses Police issue to contact city hall, obtain the cost analysis that is available, and make an informed decision on this issue.
    As soon as the minutes of the June 2rd, 2013 meeting are posted on the City of Diamondhead website, you should be able to read the comments of the city council regarding this issue.

benmike60

I think people are talking about pre city cost not post city cost for the Sheriff dept.

mrg15968

And I believe are referring to abolishing the inter-local agreement and not forming our force, but allowing HC to patrol just as they did before we became a city. Thus eliminating the costs all together.

Travelkids
    Participant

Prior to Diamondhead becoming a city, we had a private security force paid for out of our POA dues (an exorbitant amount) and the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.
    The money has to come form somewhere regardless of what we have…Private Security, Interlocal Agreement with the Hancock Sheriff, or our own City of Diamondhead Police.
    Ain’t nothing free!

wayne king
    Participant

All this is mostly supposition, Call the County Sheriff, ask him what is going to be provided and any additional cost and why. I’m sure he can provide more accurate info.

rohboat
    Participant

My question is just who is Bob and how do you fit into this picture?
    It seems to me that I have read from some sources that there are several options available with with respect to possible arrangements with the sheriff office. I admit I do not know the particulars but what I do know is that some members on the council are adamant in their quest for a police force. I strongly suspect that the motivation for this has a self serving component.
    The rush to get this going before the new council is installed is abhorrent. In truth I do not believe anything you say.
    I want to hear a full hearing from the new council and then I would feel it would be worthwhile to attend a council meeting.

benmike60

At what cost did we pay the county before we were a city? I bet $0, we were part of the county like kiln, perkinston, etc….

Squaredeal

These “meetings” you allude to seem to be almost private..How does one learn where and when?..they are held.You folks seem to keep them a secret.
    As for a Police force here, it would be a cost we should not have to bear..Hancock Co Sheriff is doing quite well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.