Fire Rate Reduction

This topic contains 57 replies, has 1,140 voices, and was last updated by  khm 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

khm
    Participant

MS State Rating Bureau has reduced Diamondhead’s Public Protection Class from 6 to 5. This means the fire portion of your homeowners premiums should go down. Call your agent and tell them you want a pro-rata premium reduction effective 7/30/13, which is the effective date of the change. Mine is arguing with me that it can’t be done until renewal, which is not correct.

wmueller

Which insurance company are you with?

khm
    Participant

State Farm

This is a victory for those of us that live here. Good work Fire Protection District .

FortunateOne

Yes! Great job Diamondhead Fire ProtectionDistrict. You will now cause every fire protection district across the state to impose a needless and insane tax on their residents. The name Diamondhead will be known as the place that caused this taxation without representation by unelected officials and total betrayal to conservative values. And great job too Mississippi Supreme Court for proving Mississippi has the lowest IQ and the worst legal system in the country. Diamondhead continues to be an embarrassment to the state that is an embarrassment to the entire country.

lisal

I have a question maybe someone can answer, what can they do if you don’t pay your $20 a month?

dpalisi

I come from a family of New Orleans Firemen and have neighbors who are retired. Yes, all from New Orleans. I have the utmost respect for firemen. But over the last 7 years, I know of two fires and both houses went to the ground. Tis rarely if ever happened in New Orleans—any part of New Orleans. Just saying….I know that there is WAY more that fire departments do than just fight fires, but that is supposed to be their bread and butter, so to speak.

How do,smaller towns like Waveland and BSL pay for their Fire Houses?

I have heard there is a database and if you are it current on “dues” and your house burns they will not come out.

Squaredeal

Dominic, like you, I know of two fires they “attended”.I say attended because both homes burned bacause of incompetence.I lived here 8 years, then they started sending me statements that I owed them, so I went to the fire station, (not the home that they use as a (sic) fire ststion, and told Dubuisson I pay County taxes, and this has paid my fire dept every place I have lived which is in many states since I moved a lot with the Federal Gov’t..which brings up another point…all their fire equip is bought nad paid for with our taxes again..all purchased with funds donated by the USDA.

Squaredeal

I applaud you for your post Fortunate One..it is all true.

lisal

According to Farmers and Assurance it doesn’t matter what the rating is, it will not lower the premium. And after spending 3 1/2 years in court after Katrina I would not have State Farm or Nationwide.

Hmmm, interesting as I’m with State Farm and they said that without our current rating, my fire insurance would go up about $1,000,

Eags753

normh: My research indicates State Farm Insurance does not even use a fire rating system in determining their rates. As I understand it they determine how many fires were experienced and what the total insurance payout was, over a three or five year period, for a particular area zip code. Correct me if I am in error.

Squaredeal

Legally, there is nothing they can do..I bought my home here in 1999, and 2008 they started sending me statements that I owed them.I had a lengthy conversation with the “fire chief” and told him that I pay county taxes, and every place I have lived pays for the fire protection from that.I have lived in many states having served with the Federal Gov’t in both Military and civil service…never heard of people taking money out of their pockets to pay them.Additionally, do you know all their equipment is purchased with funds donated them by the USDA?..Yep, our taxes again..

That is not what my agent told me.

Eags753

Your agent may not be doing his research. Fire departments across the country have been using the rating argument to raise funds for equipment, manpower, etc. See the article below:

Home Insurance Quotes

Find Affordable Home Insurance Now
    Zip Code:

Smoke but no fire where State Farm abandons standard fire ratings
    By Insure.com – Last updated: Feb. 13, 2003
    State Farm is phasing out its use of an industry standard fire-protection ratings system.

“It’s not always about fire.”
    At issue is the Public Protection Classification (PPC), provided by the Insurance Services Office (ISO). The PPC rates a community’s fire-fighting ability by examining factors including the local fire department’s staffing, training programs, resources, and even the time it takes for a fire engine to get to your house.
    These fire ratings have been used by every insurance company to set rates for home insurance policies.
    State Farm has decided to use its own fire rating system, where allowed by law. The new system uses State Farms home insurance claims data to rate a communitys fire-fighting ability. According to Kip Diggs, a spokesman for State Farm, relying on its own claims data gives State Farm a more accurate rating.
    “It’s not always about fire. This isn’t about ISO doing a bad job,” says Diggs. “Seventy percent of what we pay in claims comes from loss other than fire things like theft, water damage, hail, windstorms, and liability.”
    Diggs says the new system will allow State Farm to charge premiums that reflect the true cost of claims in a given area, and be more responsive to claims trends.
    Critics of the State Farm switch argue the ISO rating has been a powerful tool to help local fire departments raise money for new equipment. Previously, fire departments could show homeowners if they invested more money in the department, the lower ISO rating would justify the initial cost through lower homeowners insurance premiums.
    Christopher Guidette, assistant vice president of corporate communications for ISO, says although ISO’s PPC rating “remains a viable, reliable, and accurate tool,” he does have concerns about the financial impact on fire department budgets.
    “Firefighters have come to depend on our ratings for a source of support when they go to their town leadership to request funding,” says Guidette.
    According to an ISO survey of more than 500 fire officials across the country, 92 percent found the PPC rating important when “planning for, budgeting, or justifying improvements” in their communities’ public fire protection. Ninety-six percent also said they found the program important in helping the community save money on fire insurance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.