INCORPORATE DIAMONDHEAD

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead INCORPORATE DIAMONDHEAD

This topic contains 42 replies, has 677 voices, and was last updated by  Mr. Truth 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author

Mr. Truth

Some people have suggested that the POA should be dissolved immediately. If that occurs, AND THERE’S NO ENTITY TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE POA, that means that there’s no money for street maintenance, security, money to pay the electric bill for street lights, no grass cutting on common areas, no pickup of trash in common area and along roads, no upkeep of amenities, etc., etc. That would also mean that there’s no covenant enforcement (not discussing how well the POA does or does not do this) so someone could place a trailer next to your home, start a business, and so on. Some people state that the county would then take over everything. Talk to the county officials and they will tell you that they are not interested because the county presently receives all of the taxes from Diamondhead and only has to provide maintenance on one road with an occasional deputy patrolling it. Absorbing Diamondhead would come at a great cost to the county with no additional income. Is this what the residents of Diamondhead want?

prhode

I have a question about the POA dues…How are increases determined? Is there a formula that the POA uses to determine what our dues will be each year?

wayne king
    Participant

There is nothing the POA does that cannot be done as good as, or better, by a City especially provideing a more representative application of residents views. Many other Cities in america seem to exist and all the concerns you brought forth appear to be taken care of as well as the administrations of those cities want it done.

EJK

Call John Enxing, the GM, or call one on the Board members and ask. All of the phone numbers are listed on the inside cover of each edition of the Diamondhead news.

Mr. Truth

The biggest thing about having city government is making our city officials accountable for their actions. The POA is accountable for nothing they are a waste. We need our officials to be accountable for their actions without question. Recall, something that we cannot do presently with the selfserving POA.

Mr. Truth

There’s an article on this website stating that city taxes would probably exceed $500 per year. The truth is that, if the present tax on your home is $500 per year, the additional city tax would be about $42.50. If the tax on your property is $1,000 per year, the additional tax would be $82 per year and if your present property tax is $1,500 per year, the additional city tax would be about $127.50. If you talk to people involved with the incorporation effort, you’ll find out that once the city is up and running, the plan is to first take over the streets and provide security and then move to take over additional municipal functions. By turning over only the streets and security to the city , the POA could then lower their monthly fee by as must as $100 per year since they would no longer provide security and street maintenance. As other functions of the POA are absorbed into the city, the POA can reduce their fees on each piece of property. Additionally, property owners who itemize their federal tax returns will get to deduct city property taxes. Some property owners could experience savings of up to $70 per year while owners of the most expensive homes, over $500,000, might see additional costs of as much as $300 per year.

wayne king
    Participant

Thanks Truth for putting out some information all residents can relate too. What is the root cause of all this is the Deficit all residents have to pay for in the so called Country Club and the Golf Ops. Untill a solution is found to have all residents stop paying for or reduce significantly the Deficits of these functions all these issues will never go away. All eminities from time to time or pretty much all the time develop minor Deficits, pretty much all residents find this acceptable and like to have the eminities available to use and enjoy. The Country club and Golf Ops consume a gross amount of our total revenue from fees and create a Deficit that in the past has been the reason for a number of fee increases. There has always been alot of enthusiasm for elaborate projects to improve the Golf Courses and the Country Club but never a lot of the supporters of those ideas to have the users of those functions to pay the cost.

FortunateOne

This is truly great news! We are going to have a city where your dollar is worth 10 times the street value. You are trying to tell us that the city can outfit a fully functioning police force complete with all equipment, weapons, uniforms, autos, insurance, certification and training for less than 10% of the amount we pay in POA dues for an unarmed security force? And we get the streets too! Wow, what a deal and in all places Hancock County, MS. It took the city of DâIberville ten years to field a city police force. Next you will be telling us the city will provide free health care, a chicken in every pot and limo service for the children to get to school.

Does the federal government know that the city of Diamondhead will be printing its own money?

Eags753

FortunateOne

I give you FIVE STARS. Mr. Truth (at least in his eyes) paints a very good picture but I suspect his figures are home grown, over blown and lack a realistic evaluation of how much revenue it takes to operate a city.

No supporter of municipalizing Diamondhead has been able to answer the question of projected revenue and expecected cost of operation. One only needs to review the operating budgets of other cities in the area to realize a $42 or $82 yearly municipal tax is totally insufficent to operated a city. If Mr. Truth has all the answers, where has he been the past three years? Also Mr. Truth can you tell us where you got the information the street will be taken over by the proposed city and where is it written the POA dues will be lowered. You seem to have more information than is available to other POA residents. Your profile does not identify you. Will you share your name with us? I prefer to know the person I am in discussion with. Thank you.

Mr. Truth

I attended several of the information programs, picked up a copy of the proposed budget for the city, asked questions, checked out the figures on the pro forma budget which was completed by a certified urban planner. Revenues are predicted to be a total of about $2 million from Ad Valorem taxes, licenses, permits, sales taxes, homestead reimbursement, road and bridge taxes, court fines etc. It is impossible to compare this budget against Bay St Louis, Pass Christian, etc. because those cities provide municipal services (water & sewer, fire, etc.) that the city of Diamondhead would not provide at this time. Obviously as the POA would turn over other functions to the city, the POA dues would go down and the millege would go up to pay for these new city services. If you like the way the POA handles the money, if you like paying dues instead of possibly tax deducted millege, if you like having security instead of having police, if you like the business area having no overall plan for economic development, then you want to remain status quo and keep the POA as it is now.

prhode

Thank you

Eags753

Mr. Truth

Is that the same “urban planner” hired by the group (with our Diamondhead fees) organized to promote incorporation? Of course he will paint a rosey senario much like a paid court witness will slant things to favor the client paying his fee. I, also, attended two of the indoctrination sessions….. excuse me “the information sessions” and none of the questions I posed were adequately answered. I even spoke with the groups paid (with our Diamondhead fees) attorney after the meeting. Again, my questions were not answered to my satisfaction. I did not see nor was I offered a break down of projected revenues and estimated expenses to operated the proposed city. I checked the City of Wavelands approved budget for last year. I realize we can not compare everything but I think police services can be compared. Waveland has budgeted $1,400,000 for police services alone and the population is estimated at 6,000 persons. I was told, but did not check, the city of Pass Christian passed a total operating budget for the year at $30,000,000.00.

Mr. Truth, I do not want to doubt your statement about making the streets public but I have not heard one POA officials state this and I have not seen it written in any document. I have not seen the “plan” submitted to the court but am told there is no language indicating a proposal to convert the private street into public streets. Please explain why you are so sure of the plan. By the way, I am in favor of leaving things as they presently are until a complete, unbiased, professional and compentent study of the pros and cons of incorporation. I favor commissioning one of the state universities to the study. With this information I will be able to make an intelligent decision. Thank you.

mrg15968

I’m not sure any city-elected officials will be any different than the POA are today. I don’t like how the POA mis-manages our dues, but who knows how a city board will act as well. Everyone says you can “vote them out if they don’t”, but the same argument could be said for the POA board. Unless the majority stand up and make the elected officials act responsibly nothing is going to change – POA or City. I know that if my business was operated like the Country Club & Golf Course, it would have been shuttered years ago. I have tried, but honestly cannot understand the thinking of people that believes it is alright to make the many pay for the whims of the few. Seperate the Club and Golf Course from the POA and I’m all for leaving it as is.

FortunateOne

I would wager that âMr. Truthâ is an annual fee paying golfer. Truth and objectivity are two different things especially when your golf rounds are heavily subsidized by the entire membership of which only 10% play golf. The objective truth is If we got rid of the golf courses the POA dues would be cut in half.

prhode

mgr15968 – you hit the nail on the head…”if the majority doesn’t stand up”…therein lies the entire problem…the majority want to complain but most do not act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.