Irwin Resigns as General Manager

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc Presidential Forum Irwin Resigns as General Manager

This topic contains 96 replies, has 3,567 voices, and was last updated by  JFlect 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author

JFlect

The Diamondhead POA General Manager Scott Irwin, resigned today. He has served the board with honor and pride. During his tenure the Diamondhead POA has made tremendous strides and it is with deep regret that we witness his departure. He has positioned our Property Association and the future General Manager to rise to even higher levels of excellence with the club’s expansion and future improvements. He has left us with fine management team and hard working staff. Good Luck SCOTT.

John Fletcher
    President
    Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Association

Jeanasworld

Why can’t Diamondhead keep General Managers?

vsimons
    Participant

Is this somehow related to the recent efforts of HMS, the “Management Company,” to takeover various POA functions and move our accounts to the HMS office in Georgia?

How much is HMS, the “Management Company,” being paid? (Under Kyger it was $10,000 per month PLUS annual “incentives” of around $70,000.)

What is the relationship between HMS, the “Management Company” and POA Management staff? Did the GM have to report to Mr. Haslam, who owns the “Management Company”? Does HMS supervise its former partner company, ForeFront Construction ($250,000 per year POA golf course work)?

The POA needs to have a Town Hall meeting focusing on HMS to explain this tangled mess. At a Town Hall meeting Members could maybe get some answers about the HMS situation without be shouted down or cut off by certain Board members.

ofenner

Pardon my ignorance but why do we need a management company when we have a representative board? What does the management contract entail and do we not have the talent here in Diamondhead, Mississippior ? Let me naively understand this, the City of Diamondhead needs revenue and business yet we contract services through a Georgia firm to a tune of $120,000 +. Could the management company be considered another DPOA project and at over $50,000 a year, come to a vote on renewing said contract?

wayne king
    Participant

Because we (the POA) wont let anyone we hire as a manager to take the corrective actions needed to put our eminities on a near break even operation status. Too many sacred cows. Hiring a management company is just a move to redirect criticism to another entity. Diamondhead is NOT that big, and does not require a management company, it needs a competent manager with community support to correct problems. All requiring openness and public disclose of finances both income and cost. Public response will highlight attention areas that need managements finger on the scale. Minority control of high cost issues will NEVER bring results needed to satisfy a majority. In a brief, what is wrong with Diamondhead is that a minority controls the purse strings of the majority.

vsimons
    Participant

With Scott Irwin leaving, I wonder who will take over his duties?
    NOT, one hopes, that arrogant guy who posted the following on DNOL:

mb1410, posted on 9-12-14: (excepts)
    “Hello, my name is MARK BOYD, I am the DPOA Deputy GM and Facilities Director. I don’t post on this site but do read the posts for ENTERTAINMENT VALUE….
    this (DNOL) is a blog that thrives on sensationalism and mis-information. As DPOA employees we are obligated to provide accurate information to DPOA members…
    The Diamondhead News Online is not a media the DPOA has chosen for communication with Diamondhead POA Members. We have our own newsletter, the (Diamondhead News), e-blasts and a capable staff that will answer any questions as honestly and directly as they can.”

Read the whole thing in this DNOL thread: http://www.diamondheadnews.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=460&start=1

TOO LATE! JUST RECEIVED A POA EBLAST:
    “Scottt R. Irwin resigned as General Manager. He has served the board with honor and pride. During his tenure the Diamondhead POA, he has made tremendous strides and it is with deep regret that we witness his departure. He has positioned our Property Association and the NEW GENERAL MANAGER MARK BOYD, to rise to even higher levels of excellence with the club’s expansion and future improvements. He has left us with a fine management team and a hard-working staff.”

airbear406
    Participant

It may be beneficial for Mr. Fletcher to post Mr. Irwin’s letter of resignation on this site. Since Mr. Irwin was employed by us,” the members of the POA” his resignation letter may provide some insight as to the issues facing our community.

airbear406
    Participant

Who promoted Mark Boyd to the position of General Manager ?

shells2255

Mr. Haslem IS the problem!!! Mr. Irwin is one
    of his people. So you know there’s a real issue
    with the management company (Mr. Haslem),
    when his own people won’t stick with him!!
    My question is, why is Haslem still here since
    he was hired under Kyger’s rule as Poa president?
    Surely this board sees that his company is not needed
    here.

shells2255

Mr. Irwin was hired by the management company.
    Thus, the problem!!!

vsimons
    Participant

HMS (Haslam) is still here and putting forth “concepts” to takeover various POA functions because of support from certain Board members. (Ones who often spout vague platitudes about HMS, such as “golf is losing less now…,” but present no substantiating facts and refuse to allow Members to ask questions at meetings.)
    The arrogant behavior (while Kyger is away on vacation) of a couple of them toward Members is likely to backfire. (When the Boss is away, his clowns go astray?) Will the Kingpin “admonish” them when he returns?

Here’s the Kingpin’s voice from the past:
    “FROM THE PRESIDENT’S DESK”, POA DH News, Nov. 2013, p. 2:
    “…We conducted an extensive search led by a COMMITTEE chaired by Secretary Sislow and including Directors Crosby and Johnson. We had more than 30 well-qualified applicants. From this group, THE COMMITTEE narrowed the list and, ASSISTED BY JIM HASLAM, conducted telephone interviews and checked references in depth. Five finalists were invited to visit DH for face-to-face interview WITH THE COMMITTEE, MR. HASLAM, VP JOHN YARBROUGH and MYSELF….”

IrishPat

JFlect – 2014-09-27 8:06 AM

The Diamondhead POA General Manager Scott Irwin, resigned today. He has served the board with honor and pride. During his tenure the Diamondhead POA has made tremendous strides and it is with deep regret that we witness his departure. He has positioned our Property Association and the future General Manager to rise to even higher levels of excellence with the club’s expansion and future improvements. He has left us with fine management team and hard working staff. Good Luck SCOTT.

John Fletcher
    President
    Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Association 

It’s my understanding from a member that spoke at last months open poa meeting the golf courses and country club have lost $100,000 in the last 6 months alone. How is that making tremendous strides to benefit the majority of dues paying property owners?

What are these club expansions and improvements? The majority of property owners expected the dues to be cut when the poa formed city took over many expenses. Considering the national decline of golf, why are we getting involved in expansions and improvements to a CC and golf courses that have lost a fortune? Why can’t we privatize the cc and golf courses so that the majority no longer have to pay for the recreation of a few?

A town hall type poa meeting where the dues paying members weren’t bullied into subdued silence by a few on the board would give us a chance to have honest input and a much needed airing of important issues. This city needs to weaken the poa and move toward one form of governance with an eye for the betterment of all.

MarkL

I think Mark Boyd should be dismissed.

If I were crass and stupid enough to make a written public statement saying I’m *entertained* by the concerns of the people whose hard earned money pays my wages I’d be given my walking papers. By poa director logic that type of condescending behavior toward the legit concerns of dues paying members earns you a promotion.

MarkL

ofenner – 2014-09-27 9:17 AM Pardon my ignorance but why do we need a management company when we have a representative board? What does the management contract entail and do we not have the talent here in Diamondhead, Mississippior ? Let me naively understand this, the City of Diamondhead needs revenue and business yet we contract services through a Georgia firm to a tune of $120,000 +. Could the management company be considered another DPOA project and at over $50,000 a year, come to a vote on renewing said contract?

^^This.

Squaredeal

I agree Mark, maybe we should approach Fletcher and let him know our feelings in a meeting..(closed door)..People like Boyd are unacceptable for positions like he has(had)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.