katrinasludge

This topic contains 7 replies, has 499 voices, and was last updated by  LA-MS 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

LA-MS

Anyone got any ideas of the origins of foul smelling sludge that was deposited in inundated areas of Diamondhead, and other areas around the St Louis Bay in Hancock and Harrison County.
    Here is one theory that has surfaced and appears to have some merit:
    Iron chloride solutions that were stored in DuPont hazardous waste ponds were swept into St. Louis Bay when the storm surge water inundated the plant.
    Iron chloride causes solids that are suspended in water to drop and coagulate on the bottom resulting foul acid smelling sticky sludge.
    Web posted Satellite imagery reveals the probability of damage and material release may have been more extensive than was reported.
    Some Bay area residents are asking if DuPont is responsible for the area health symptoms, high soil iron /H20 content and foul acid smelling sludge (on land and water), as well as the mortality of certain aquatic and terrestrial plants/animals (esp. Pines, same species survived on Cat Island). Failure of surviving inundated metal construction
    components (fasteners, hurricane clips and concrete reinforcement) failure
    occurrences in structures that were unaffected by Camille, Betsy, George,
    Isidore, and Lily storm waters.
    You thoughts, experiences and/or comments are welcome.

wayne king
    Participant

That smell, smells like trial lawyer stuff.

cutypie

Maybe it’s the same reason why everything on my property is rusty and corroded too? I saw the photos of the waste pits and plant underwater. There’s no telling what came from that place. Does anybody know if any testing was done? That would be the icing on the sludge cake to find that our property was contaminated, on top of being destroyed!

LA-MS

Hi CUTYPIE,
    You might want to check out
    http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM
    for NOAA Katrina images including Diamondhead and Hancock/Harrison Co.
    For DuPont damage you can view:
    http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24819924.jpg
    http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24825433.jpg
    These images appear to show waste pits with failed levees and berms where black and yellow/orange mess leaked out of to where the lower Hazardous Waste Pit areas appear to have been completely inundated and contents carried off.
    No wonder why your stainless salad bowl is now a strainer.
    Maybe the press releases were just smoke and mirrors.
    “CUTYPIE”, since were discussing smoke, why do the plants smokestacks appear to be working harder between 9PM and 6AM?
    FYI – I ain’t eatin’ the crabs & oysters!!!
    Bubba

cutypie

I’m new to the area and I didn’t even know that the plant was out there until after the storm. I was driving home from Gulfport at night and saw what looked like dense fog across I-10, but when I got closer it looked more like smoke so I called the fire department. They told me that it was not a fire, but the emissions from the Delisle Dupont Plant and that they had received several calls about smoke in that area. I don’t know what they make there, but I guess I should pay closer attention to it. All I know is that I’m from South Florida where the water is way more salty than here and I’ve never seen metal corrode like it did after the hurricane. I found coins in my house that were extremely corroded and turned green (and other colors) immediately after the storm, not weeks or months. Saltwater just doesn’t work that fast. Also, the galvanized hurricane ties on what’s left of my house are rusted to nothing!! I’m sorry, but salt water doesn’t do that either. I’m going to make some calls and see what I can find out about the plant and the chemicals they carry. Those photos are unbelievable!! I can’t believe that I hadn’t heard that the Dupont Delisle Plant flooded and released chemicals until your post LA-MS. If you have any other information about what spilled please post it, or a link to a website. I think more people should be concerned about this. Maybe they are and I just am not aware? Thank You.

patti

I remember the army was going around looking for harzard wastes in chemicals!

patti

Dupont make a substance called titanium it is used in everything that is the color white!!!My mother lives in new orleans and it is the same down their ! Salt water when left on something and not washed will do that

boneil

I dont normally get involved in these online discussions but to me this one just begs to be responded to because of some misleading information. A picture may be worth a thousand words but being on the ground when an event has occurred is worth a thousand pictures.

I was one of the people that worked at DuPont immediately after the storm helping with the clean up. And before I go any further let me say that I was NOT a DuPont employee but rather a contractors employee (I was one of the people who handled the hazardous chemical rail cars and offloaded the chemicals on a daily basis) and I no longer work at the plant. I have since moved on to bigger and better things. But the relevant part is that I was there within 3 days of the storm helping with the clean up. The part of the plant that I was assigned to is the section that received the worst flooding.

Without going into a very long story I will just say that I personally say every section of the plant on a daily basis before and after the storm and I can say without any hesitation that NOT A SINGLE LEVEE OR BERM FAILED! The main levee between DuPont and the bay was TOPPED by about 15 feet of water since it was only 15 to 20 feet high, this is true but it did not fail. The proof of this (not failing that is) is very simple the levee also serves as DuPonts rail spur for storing and transporting ore and chemicals for processing and we DID NOT have to bring in any fill to make it functional. We did however have to repair and replace almost all of the rails since they really took a beating in the storm.

In your image that you referenced ( http://killdelisle.8k.com/photo.html ) is would appear that 4 of the holding ponds were inundated by the storm surge but this is a little misleading. While I cannot say without any error that none of the ponds were topped I can state with some certainty that the 2 ponds that hold the most hazardous materials (in the image they are the light and lighter green ponds in the middle left of the picture) were not even topped because of their elevation above sea level and because after the storm I personally witnessed the storm debris that STOPPED at least 5 feet BELOW the top of the ponds levee! Now this does not mean that wave action didnt top the levee but if it did it was modest and the level of the levee was still well below the actual capacity of the pond. In a word, whatever water was thrown over the levee was captured by the pond and NOT RELEASED.

Now, the two holding ponds closest to the bay were actually topped and may have been flooded to the point that they overflowed thereby releasing their contents but what they actually held was not the iron chloride that another thread discusses but rather liquid that is slightly acidic but not to the point of actually being able to burn anyone or accelerate decomposition of metals that is also mentioned. These are the holding ponds that store processed water and other liquids before they are discharged in accordance with the EPA.

The big and bad hazardous materials that are talked about are primarily contained in a series of concrete vaults that are 20+ feet above the top of the levee and were not topped AT ALL! All of the material that they contain were accounted for and NOT RELEASED INTO THE ENVIRONMENT!

Additionally, other waste material that should be of concern were contained in the holding ponds that according to your referenced image were above the flood model and not affected by the storm except for taking on additional rain water. These ponds are in the upper left hand corner of the image.

Again, I want to point out that I am not an employee at the DuPont plant and in fact I am not a fan of the plant since I too live in Diamondhead. I just want to make sure that the correct information is related to people. As far as the law suits against the plant are concerned I cannot say anything about their validity because I dont know all the issues and that is an entirely different forum anyway.

Read it and believe it, I was there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.