Last nights poa mtg

This topic contains 46 replies, has 859 voices, and was last updated by  BeauB 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

BeauB
    Participant

We’re our dues lowered by the new poa at the meeting last night or are we in for more of the same?

TomLaird

New pres said the next bill you get from the POA for dues will be half the amount.

downing4543

Is that offical? Is there some thing in writing. Will anything like the pools or amenities be effected by the dues going down?

rohboat
    Participant

I did attend the inaugural open POA meeting. I had no idea what to expect other than it was going to be crowded.. I really thought that many of the people who voted for the newly elected would be there to get some indication as to what changes we could expect and what were some of the suggestion from the residents. Boy was I wrong. This was not the crowd that voted for the newly elected. The attendees were largely made up of the old guard loaded for bear to find some smart remark to degrade Fletcher and company. The really irate ones were scattered throughout the audience. Their agitated maneuvers were obvious. One man thought that surely Mr. Fletcher had broken some legal rule by being in two organizations. When informed that he was wrong he got into quite a huff returned to his seat. Another not to bright fellow shook his finger at Fletcher claiming that he had only one vote. I have no idea where he was going with that and I am sure he had no concept of what he was trying to accomplish. I think it was Joe Murray sitting next to the Ackermans who made several trips up to the podium desperately seeking a knockout blow but fell short of the mark. And then when Alfonso tried to explain a point to a contentious participant Rodney Ackerman in full fury rose and screamed that Alfonso should get back in his cage. Rodney showed a lot of class. It was obvious that they were smarting from the outcome of the election and were there to show it. A gentleman went up to the podium and said that many people were dissatisfied with the previous administration and voted overwhelming to replace them . He suggested that they had a mandate and that POA members should work with them. A man standing next to the door looking very disgruntled and obviously did not agree and cursed at the gentleman as he departed. I had some pressing family matters to take care of and left just as Michael Schaefer was giving a financial report. We are luck to have someone with his talent willing to take over that job. I missed any interaction between Alfonso and the attendees. They obviously do not like him or the Diamondhed news web site. Even thought they have the ability to argue their points with everyone else they want no part of it. Go Figure. The bottom line is that this inner circle has come out in force to let the current board know that they will do everything possible to keep themselves in control. There is no doubt in my mind that there is going to be some unpleasantness involved.

bkw

I was there last night as well and that’s a pretty good summary. As for the dues, Mr Fletcher did say that reducing the dues for 50% is his goal. That’s what is will strive to accomplish. Of course, there were a lot of side-bar rumblings and a few questions as to what he would cut. He did not mention anything specific, only that he’s reviewed the finances and fully believes there is fat to be trimmed. I was also suprised at the vitrolity spewed toward Alfonso. Quite uncalled for if you ask me. However, I fully admit this was my first board meeting that I attended so I have nothing to base this off of. One of the first things Fletcher did say was that the issue of Kyger will be tabled for now until they finish talking with legal counsel. That brought some disgruntled rumblings. I did notice that Kyger did not stay after the meeting and quickly left the area once the meeting adjorned. I made it a point to talk to Mr Fletcher jsut to state that I voted for him and the other bewly appointed board members and was looking forward to getting more involved as well as the reduction in our dues. I also spoke with Mr Alfonso and told him I appreciate the information that gets posted on this site.

BeauB
    Participant

I am hearing two answers. One is that next month my dues will be half, the other is that he will work to lower the dues 50%. I hope we are not getting double talk. I voted for this bunch to cut my dues and I will push to get rid of the poa as a whole before 2020. I have been a part of Diamondhead since 1991 and I believe we are now moving backwards. Let’s hope these people are true to their word and will do what they say they will do.

Editor

We will let you be the judge. Here is an excerpt of last nights meeting. More to come. http://youtu.be/KN_aXMRTXvA

QueenMercury

Did Ms. Briggs say she doesn’t want cars in driveways, or did I hear wrong? Is that a violation of the POA? I do agree that I don’t want Diamondhead to look crappy but with the section 8 rental in full swing here I don’t think that a boat or RV will be the worst of what is found in your neighbors driveway. I have never met or spoken to Mr. Alfonso, but I do appreciate this site as a way of finding out what is happening in Diamondhead. I gather information and cut through BS to form my own opinion and in no way does anyone sway me into anything. I have no idea why Ms. Briggs would call this site disgusting even if she does not like Mr. Alfonso. People here have different opinions, ideas and views, they agree and disagree but what is disgusting about that? I can assure you that Mr. Alfonso has no influence over my thought process. I doubt that any significant percentage of members voted for a certain candidate because Mr. Alfonso swayed them into doing so. Now if she means that this site allowed people to talk about issues and find out things they might have otherwise heard about, and therefore decided it was important to vote for those that wouldn’t continue down this road – then her problem is with people having access to information and making a decision and not with Mr. Alfonso.

ofenner

Does Ms. Briggs stay at home a lot? Has she traveled throughout Diamondhead? I see trailers, boats and all sort of vehicles parked in driveways without problems. I also see a few residents with more than their share of animals mainly cats and dogs. One block from Gulf drive is a household of ten dogs and three humans. Whenever they open the front door the dogs escape chasing anything and everything down the street. Ms. Briggs this isn’t anything new as this has been happening for years and complaints by neighbors to the POA go unanswered. There seems to be a lot of rumbling from the groups that joined hands with the old administration. Step outside take a look around and see why many of us have complained. The future shock of Diamondhead becoming a city with all its liabilities falls with past endeavors. As far as the Diamondhead News, thank you Mr. and Mrs. Alfonso!

dpalisi

The irony is those who now trash Skip and his website absolutely loved both when they used Skip and his site’s influence and readership to push Mayor Shafer through. As soon as the primaries were over, they all decided to hate Skip and loathe his paper and website. Yet they call others two-faced.

wayne king
    Participant

Im with you Queen, Historically the eventual downfall of the past Diamondhead tyrants has begun with property owners criticizing and complaining about unfair situations and or pompous behavior in the Diamondheadnews. The availability of researched documents and information placed in Diamondheadnews on line by the Alfonso’s has been irreplaceable in opinions formulation by property owners when their own newspaper censors and refuses to publish any contrary opinions. Freedom of the Press is one of our basic rights guaranteed by the constitution many have perished or suffered grievous injuries to sustain those rights, its fortunate most of us have the the intelligence to understand that one requires information from a wide range of sources both pro and con to come to a decision on issues. Gossip and innuendos from uninformed sources is the worst input one can use and historically issues in Diamondhead are full of that. One does not have to agree with comments and criticisms published but the price has been paid for their freedom to be printed and I for one thank God I am an American where that exist.

BeauB
    Participant

Why do we need a po
    A to take care of zoning and compliance issues? The city can do that now. Why is this guy up out of his seat at this meeting? Sit down! Shut up! Do what your told! Lower the dues and abolish the poa and make the city of Diamondhead more efficient. For all the talk about lowering taxes they certainly don’t seem interested in doing it in their own back yard. Nor do they seem concerned with streamlining government. More of the same.

wayne king
    Participant

What you question is probably the natural progression to the ultimate resolution of the politics of Diamondhead

ofenner

Beau, no doubt the city should now be responsible for much of what the DPOA allegedly handled. However you don’t have to research far to understand this new city government relies heavily on the POA. Complaints, normally handled by the city are responded with either a recommendation or an excuse that it is under the control of the DPOA. Prior the the dismissal of the DPOA security (Say what you like about them but…) security attempted to handle all complaints. Unless the complaint generates revenue it won’t be handled in a satisfactory manner. The fledging city appeared to be an arm of the old DPOA regime.

BeauB
    Participant

I don’t need your nor anybody else’s excuses. I want to see progress and growth. Now all I hear about is falling property values and section 8 housing becoming a reality and about to explode in diamondhead. I don’t care what happened in the past between city and dpoa. Jefferson said I don’t want to think about the history do the past, I prefer the dreams of the future. The city should be handed everything from the dpoa and the poa allowed to disband. The covenants should be brought into the zoning ordinances and codes and the amenities should be managed by the city or privatized to bring in income for the city so that it does not fall on the taxpayers shoulders. The time to move forward is now or we risk everything we have going away. Everybody laughed at New Orleans after Katrina but they moved forward and they were just named Americas most livable city. With a 4.3% unemployment rate and property values on a rapid rise I would say in looking to the future they left an ugly past behind. Why can’t we do the same in diamondhead and be pro growth. What are the older people who live in diamondhead leaving behind for the future generations of young Mississippians and young Americans? So much talk of patriotism but actions speak louder than words.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.