Marijuana Arrest in Diamondhead

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc Security Marijuana Arrest in Diamondhead

This topic contains 17 replies, has 570 voices, and was last updated by  Editor 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Editor

Comment on the recent arrest for marijuana in Diamondhead here.

y2kcatz

need to check thier own police officers houses

monohn

Diamondhead used to be a very peaceful and safe place to live. I’m 40 and grew up in Diamondhead, we rode our mopeds all over, without anyone bothering us, we would drive to the Hinky Dinky to get our gas and stay out until late at the pools, but now I wouldn’t let my children walk around the block by themselves. All we hear about now are the meth houses, marijuana busts and cars being burlarized. Diamondhead has really started to go down hill, and with incorporation, it will be even worse. Makes me very sad.

AL49

(Response to monohn)

Diamondhead can still be a very peaceful and safe place to live. We still have many very good people that live in Diamondhead, and like you we wish for the “GOOD OLD DAYS”. And you are correct when you said “All we hear about now are the meth houses, marijuana busts and cars being burglarized.” Sheriff Garber’s officers are doing everything legally possible to fight crime in Hancock County. With growth , no madder where you live comes the crime and criminal element. The honest non-criminal element (THE MAJORITY). must do what others have done GET INVOLVED, when you see or hear something that may be useful information that may help put the criminals in jail call your Sheriff’s Office. We have several Deputies that live in Diamondhead that will be more than happy to talk to you about your concerns. Together we can stop that “DOWN HILL” effect and turn this problem around. Those of you that have given me information know that I am a man of my word, I offer you complete confidentiality, your name will remain confidential, you will not need to testify in court, your name or any other information about you will only be known to the officer that you trust enough to talk to. An honest cop is a good cop and have no doubt about it the majority of us are good cops. If you do have information on bad cop give the FBI a call and let them take care of the problem. Or give me a call, Al Hermann you can reach me at the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department (228) 466-6900 or talk to me when you see me patrolling your neighborhood.

PS

To the Editor,

Great gob on your report “Marijuana Arrest in Diamondhead”, you gave us today’s news today,

Thank you!

wayne king
    Participant

Does this include drunks driving home from the Country Club??

Eags753

We should all remember the demographics have changed dramatically in Diamondhead. We have less homeowners and many more renters. It is not to say that renters are less desirable it is just that renters usually do not have the same concerns and are not involved in the community as homeowners are. The stakes are different. I also do not believe our security has risen to the challenge of additional crime in the area. And….it may not be their fault. The POA board has placed too much emphasis on traffic enforcement, parking tickets, fines, etc. and not enough on patrol and observation measures. I have heard members of the VCC brag about the money they are taking in from the violators. Trust me, it is all about the $ not the community. As a 28 year retired law enforcement veteran I can personally vouche for Deputy Hermann’s honesty and competency. I encourage anyone with information regarding criminal acitivity to share that info with Deputy Hermann. Citizen involment is one of a criminal’s worse fears.

wayne king
    Participant

I agree, I re-read my prior post and it was a little brief. What I was implying was there are many serious violations of laws that can lead to serious and tragic consequences besides dope, burglary or vandalism, drunk driving among them. All too often emphasis is placed on a single topic and other equal concerns go unattended because we find it more convient to do so. Complaints and reports should cover all violations, a couple of extra drinks while having good conversation can have tragic results, in some cases more so than having a couple of joints on the back deck. Inconspicuous as it seems, it is the law that you have insurance to drive, the consequences of not having it can be very harmful, usually to someone else, however how many violate this law? All are what we depend on law enforcement to monitor and cover to assure a high margin of confidence in our protection against offenders, and as Eags says, it should be about this more so than $.

sallysunrise

Let’s all be realistic here no matter where you live there is going to be crime but as to how much crime well, it’s like what Mr. Hermann mentioned we all need to be alert and call if we see something out of the ordinary this will help to keep the offenders from "setting up shop" in our community. As to the "old days" we all miss that "carefree state of mind" but I’m sure as a child growing up you really didn’t think about crime that was not something you would have thought about, ( I know I didn’t) and I’m sure if you researched it there would be some sort of record on the crimes back 30+ yrs ago, it’s just that the community was smaller and that what crime was going on was not reported to the papers. So all I can say (as my two cents) is that was then, and this is now and there is no going back. We can only move forward and try to grow as a union I believe the incorporation will not hinder but rather help us by having more officers patrolling Diamondhead. Other incorporated cities have a neighborhood watch program, so are we that removed as a private community that we feel we cannot do this or that we don’t need to because we have our securty officers to protect us? I believe this is what has led to the recent rash in crime in our community everyone is far too busy to know their neighbors or pay attention to something that is out of the norm. I for one try to pay close attention to who is coming and going in my neighborhood as best as I can. I urge you all to have a block party on your street, it’s the best way to get to know your neighbors, our street has one once a yr everyone brings something this way no one person has to bear the expense.

wayne king
    Participant

Very good post Sally.

Eags753

Sallysunrise: I agree we all need to be more diligent in watching out for suspicious activity and persons in Diamondhead. We did have a Neighborhood Watch Program in Diamondhead several years ago but it was never supported properly and died a quite death. Perhaps it is time to reorganize the program. Crime, as we know it today, is in large part a result of narcotic sales and usage. Law enforcement first experience crack cocaine usage in the early 80’s and it has been on a steady increase ever since. It is the single most cause of crime today. Almost 90% of persons incarcerated in jails today can be attributed to drug sales, usage or addiction. It is a very complicated and difficult matter for law enforcement to deal with and is a sad commentary on our society. Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, teamed with a regional task force, has been doing an outstanding job but they do need the help of all citizens to deal with this serious problem. No community is exempt from drug related crimes including Diamondhead. We just have to keep our guard up and to report any suspicious incidents or persons to our local law enforcement agencies.

donho

Bob, I am a member of the VCC .

The subject of money from fines has never been discussed in my presence. Under certain conditions fines are suspended for one year. Our sole purpose is to try to improve the quality of life in Diamondhead. We do our best to get residence to consider theirs neighbors over dogs, noise, property conditions,and etc. prior to any fine.
    For safety we do encourage security to enforce traffic rules. Speeding is a big problem in many areas.

Who did you hear say what???? $$$$????

wayne king
    Participant

Don, maybe you can clarify something for me and other curious residents. Where exactly does the POA VCC committee get its statute authority to issue punishment for violations (fines)? As far as I know no one is a judge or recognized or trained as such by the state of Mississippi or granted some kind of judicial authority with appropriate training by the legislature of Mississippi. The only punishment I know of in the Ciamondhead paperwork nightmare of covenants, by laws or whatever, is "expulsion" meaning a loss of voting privileges etc. but no monetary fines. However are you aware of the meaning of the word "extortion"? Look it up might be very interesting.

Eags753

donho:

I was a member of the VCC for six years prior to this administration. Many times the chairperson (Hilda) of the committee I served with gave us the total fines collected and expressed what a good job the committee was doing in bring in the money and bragging about out the funds were supplementing the budget. You certainly have my permission to ask Hilda or other former members for confirmation. She was a good chairperson but I think sometimes a little misguided. For the record I openly expressed my opinion that we were formed to insure compliance of the rules and regulations of Diamondhead not to make money for Diamondhead. I viewed the large amounts of fines as an indication we were not successful in having residents comply as evident by the increase in violations and fines. I was often at odds with other members of the committee who wanted to rubber stamp all actions of the security officers (at the residents expense) and I opposed, in writting, many of the rules implemented by the board I did not believe were fair to the residents of Diamondhead. If request, I will gladly give you more details. I believed then as I believe now that it is about the money and the residents have very little chance of a fair hearing with the VCC. And can you explain under what conditions one residents has a fine suspended and another residents must pay? What is the criteria in this decision process? Since you have been on the committee how many residents were found not in violation and their fines dismissed? An approximate number (if any) will be fine. Thanks.

Eags753

Wayne King:

As far back as when Richard Weber was POA president I posed the same questions (in writting) you are now asking. I also questioned what authority the POA board had and under what statue did they believe they were authorized to give police powers to the security officers. Of course, I received no reply. There is no law in Mississippi that allows a security officer to stop and detain any vehicle. If they feel it is necessary to stop anyone they can only do so as a “private citizen”. That means they are not acting as an agent of Diamondhead but rather acting only as a citizen. I will bet you a dime to a donut the POA board has never given security personnel a written job description that requires them to stop and detain motorist. I’ll also bet, not if but when, a lawsuit comes the security personnel will find themselves under the bus. I have suggested the Board research this matter but………..they already know everything. Right.

wayne king
    Participant

Again Eads, you have hit the nail on the head. Numerious fines and high monitary results of these fines is an indicator of failure of to have public support for efforts to improve safety ect. or whatever is the focus of the “rules” being cited. It is also however, an indicator of success in fleeceing the constituency. If it dident all go to support an inflated cost of golf ops and the country club there might be more support. I see fines ect. only as another (probably illegal) revenue source to support the golf ops and country club while ignoreing the 500 lb gorilla in the room, which is the deficit those aminites continually operate with due to underchargeing the users.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.