On going Mississippi judicial/justice corruption cases

Home Forums Diamondhead Legal Forum POA Lawsuits On going Mississippi judicial/justice corruption cases

This topic contains 2 replies, has 204 voices, and was last updated by  wayne king 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

wayne king
    Participant

Today we read that Dickey Scruggs has pleaded guilty to bribery of a judge. Anyone care to guess how extensive and far reaching that type corruption extends into our lives here in Mississippi?

It is a symptom of how far the degeneration of america has become, it eludes to the acceptance of apparently inconsequencial acts of dishonesty and various other ethical transgressions. Toleration of these minor faults in honesty esculate to what you read today.

Each individual has the responsibility for honesty and fair play when dealing with others. It is not all about winning and getting what I want, it is about being part of a socity where you can expect protection and support for a just cause. It does not depend on what “is” is.

wayne king
    Participant

Today we read that Dickey Scruggs son Zachary has also pleaded guilty in being complacent in the attempted bribery of a judge in that he did nothing to stop the event that he was aware of. Prosecutors said in court these actions deprived the State of Mississippi of the services of the judge (get this) performed free of deceit, bias, self-dealing and concealment. I wonder if this could apply in other things any public official is involved in? After his plea Zachary uttered a statement that is relevant in most situations involving people who are in positions of responsibility and the outcome of their actions effects others who look to them to secure their well being. He said, "We, as members of the Bar have high standards we have to live up to. Its not just enough that we not engage in ex parte contact or unethical contact; we HAVE A DUTY to prevent others from doing so". Too bad his father didn’t say and teach that. Another side article included a statement by Zachary’s Uncle that said, to the effect,"when you’re faced with the odds of a set up and that there is no way to you can win , you just make the best deal you can". If it was done however, it was done, and there are no fringes to violating the law, no shadowy area where kinship, friendship or fellowship allow a freedom to trespass, and a "deal" at times could invoke visions of special treatment not available to all. Any "Deal"relative to public well being or resources should be made public and open for debate. I do think that some transgressions are probably accidental and inadvertent caused by ignorance of the intrinsic of laws and these should be mitigated by judges and prosecutors. Even the lack of desire or courage to confront a powerful adversary or cohort that could be a relative, friend or authority figure, I think, falls into this category. Just to be sure of awareness maybe we could get the POA Board members to swear when they are elected that they being in a position of public trust and responsibility will not engage in "ex parte or unethical contact or special deals and have a duty to prevent others from doing so and any services they perform will be free of deceit, bias, self dealing and concealment". If any are Lawyers they may be exempted because they already know this.

wayne king
    Participant

Now it appears the Mayor of Gulfport and his wife can be added to the list of transgressors of public trust. Innonce or guilt will be forth comeing in time. I wonder if Gulfport has an ethics compliance statute? Diamondhead does not.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.