PARKING TICKETS

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead PARKING TICKETS

This topic contains 14 replies, has 308 voices, and was last updated by  TomLaird 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

TomLaird

It is my understanding that our police are enforcing the no parking rule. I heard that several ladies attending a shower were parked in front of the person home that was giving the shower and they were given a $75.00 ticket. Now, that does present a problem, what about the folks having or attending a yard sale or a yard service cutting your grass, I wonder where are they going to park? Maybe, these folks can park at the POA office or police station and catch a suttle???? Maybe we need city buses or monorail. I understand about not parking on the grass down the middle of the street but in front of your own home,,, come on.—-Can’t wait until election time!

Eags753

I was opposed to the POA’s action when they instituted the no parking in front of ones home rule when it was first enacted. They compromised, somewhat, when they said if was okay to park in front of your house only if you got a letter from the General Manager granting you permission. Kind of like when you had to raise your hand in grammer school to use the restroom. It is a ridiculous rule and serves no purpose. If one parked a vehicle in a manner that obstructed the flow of traffic, hampered an emergency vehicle or destructed landscaping it would be understandable. It seems to me if the streets are city property the POA rules would not apply. The contracted sheriff’s deputies do not enforce POA rules but perhaps the city enacted a municipal code against residents or their guest parking in front of ones home. If they did pass such an ordinance they should join the POA’s court of jesters.

ju ju

“Maybe, these folks can park at the POA office or police station”. Where is that? Where are the police cars parked when not in use?

DHeadMiss

i am confused. our police cant enforce poa covenants right? is this a city ordinance or a poa covenant?

barber1980

The city has adopted many of the POA rules as ordinance. You can read all of them on the city website.

Eags753

Correct. The sheriff’s deputies can not enforce rules and regulations set by the POA board. These deputy sheriff’s have been commissioned by the City of Diamondhead as city police officers although they remain employees of the Sheriff. This gives them the power to enforce municipal codes enacted by the city council. As a sheriff’s deputy they can not enforce city codes just as the state police do not have authority to enforce county ordinances. State laws can be enforced by all Mississippi law enforcement personnel. I understand the POA retained some of the security personnel to enforce the POA rules and regulations. Don’t know who wrote the tickets TomLaird mentioned in his post but would be curious to learn whether it was security or the city officers.

TomLaird

Thanks for the common sense response, something we seem to have in short supply. I have only lived in Diamondhead for a couple of years but in that short time I have have seen some stupid things in place that I have never seen anywhere else. Today in America we have way to much goverment in our lives so why in the world did we here in Diamondhead want to add more?
    Another thing I can’t understand is the rule against wells for watering the lawns. Someone told me that it would contaminate the city water,what? Now who in their right mind would tie in a well to the existing system? Or meter it? I feel that it’s a cash cow and whomever doesn’t want to give it up. I am wondering how they water the golf course? If they are using treated water for that what a waste of chemicals and resourses.

Eags753

TomLaird: The water district uses the excuse that the well water you use still has to go through their sewerage plant and they want to be paid for the treatment of the run off water. I don’t buy into it but that is the position they take. I have heard of cases where they went on private property and filled the wells with concrete.

Eags753

error

MRIBT2

Tom, when did this parking ticket issuing occur? I had a shower at my house last week, called in advance to the POA and Police to advise the hours of the shower, and to my knowledge no one was issued a ticket. The police dept. knew nothing about giving tickets to cars parked in front of homes, they told me to call the POA and the POA receptionist took the information. They also advised the Police should have been aware that citations should be issued if an advance notice is not given on the time of an event at someone’s home. This is way too much bureaucracy for people to put up with. With the current set up in communications at City Hall, it seems, the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing.

Eags753

The issue becomes ever more confusing. The written policy of the POA board is one must receive written permission from the general manager for you or your guest to park in front of your home. Thankfully, they gave you permission over the phone and you had no problem with security. However, I am told, the City of Diamondhead copied most of the rules and regulations of the POA and passed city codes mirroring them. This includes making it a violation of a city ordinance to park a vehicle in front of your home. This means if you have written permission from the GM you will be in compliance with POA rules but still in violation of a city code that does not recognize the letter from the GM. Crazy.

TomLaird

So if they are going to meter they better capiture it…….I want my moneys worth,,,,,,Now how in the heck is the city supposed to capture the water from watering the lawns and flower beds and run it thru the sewage treatment plant??? Ok,,. so whats next rain water??? So in turn the spent water after watering the golf course should go to the sewage treatment plant as well. Gosh!———————-Crazy, crazy. I can’t believe the people of Diamondhead put up with this stuff. Total non-sense.

barber1980

Tom, what I have been told is that the water district owns the water rights here. This is why nobody can drill a new well. It would be to easy for powers that be to use common sense. Dont know why its called common sense, not that common anymore.

TomLaird

Hmmmm. I’ll believe it when I see it…. Reminds me of of the fight over oil drilling in the past. I still think stuff can be changed if the folks here would stand up for thier rights. But I doubt it,,,, look what we allow in the airports etc………………….Shame Shame….

Travelkids
    Participant

I’d love to see the police department enforce NO PARKING in front of the Post Office….seems there are a number of residents who feel that they are exempt from parking in a NO PARKING zone. Maybe a few tickets would wake people up!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.