POA Member Assaulted by Diamondhead Security

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc Security POA Member Assaulted by Diamondhead Security

This topic contains 41 replies, has 1,778 voices, and was last updated by  Editor 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Editor

Comments are welcome concerning the incident that occurred on November 11, 2007 involving a POA member and four Diamondhead security guards.

Summer

Security in Diamondhead gives stupid a whole new name. Does it bother anyone else that our "security" is so unprofessional? I for one am tired of paying for law suits. Maybe it’s time for people to start being responsible for their actions and this goes for our POA President and the Board. Let them pay for their mistakes out of their own pockets. Maybe the POA President and Board are too arrogant and they need to be brought down a notch or two. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. It is very nice to read and see good news!

Daisy

I wish that those vigilant POA “security” officers would be so eager to protect the property on the Southside, where just anyone can enter as they please and take whatever they can carry out. Since Katrina, we have learned so much about the Diamondhead politics, including how dangerous it is now to live there, that this one time wonderful place has become a disgrace. We need new POA officers NOW!! (as well as better protection of our property for those of us who are still reeling from the storm)

Summer

Judy,

I seriously doubt if security knows that Diamondhead has a South side.

I agree with you 100% that we need a new POA President and Board. It is time that voters get serious and stop making this a popularity contest.

There was only one real choice the last time we voted and the good folks got it wrong and look at the mess we are in now.

Mr. Alfonso, thank you for this web site, it seems you are the only one that knows the rules of Diamondhead and what is really going on here.

rkied

What a disgrace to our community. Our beautiful and pretty peacefull area has become a mess. We need to not just talk about what is happening, but take action.
    I have been here for 5 years, and it is not the place I moved in to.

The POA will be here for what seems a hundred more years. I’d love to get rid of them all together. Since that is not possible, who has a true idea of what we CAN do. I”ll be right behind anyone with some good ideas.

I don’t want any part of Diamondhead annexed, and that is why I am for becoming our own city. But I’m just not sure what to do any more.

But the question exists of who hired these security people that caused such a horrible situation?

They did all this to a man because they thought he knocked over a mailbox?

Is our security privately hired by the POA? Or is it a firm that was hired? I’m just wondering what the liability is that lies with the monies from our Diamondhead “Kitty”…

Is there insurance for the Security force?

I would be outspokenly ****ed if something like that happened to me.

So,
    how do we get a person in there that actually is for the people of the community, and not about who they know and what they can do for themselves?

I feel very badly for what he went through. What an awful experience that must have been, and what a mark that must have left in his memory.

Renee

EJK

Elections will be held this summer for several Board positions. Who’s going to run for the Board?

Summer

I wish Mr. Alfonso, editor of this web site would run for POA President. I have never met Mr. Alfonso, but I have talked to him on the phone. He has some wonderful ideas how to make Diamondhead a better place to live and he was against the high dues and so much more. He has some wonderful ideas for Diamondhead. BTW, Mr. Alfonso, never dodged any questions and actually gave me real answers. He never told me let me check on that and get back to you. I was told by a lady that stayed in Diamondhead when Katrina hit that Mr. Mr. Alfonso was a tremendous help to everyone and he really new how to tackle very difficult situations. Dang, he even knows the rules here. I was told that a POA Board member made sure that Vinson got the security bid, you know friend helping friends. After reading the post on here our security sounds more like thugs. I moved here to get away from this type of mentality. Thanks to all for letting me express my opinion. Summer

Daisy

I think that this upcoming election should be one that we all get seriously involved in, for the good of ALL of Diamondhead! With so much facing so many of the Southside, I think that we were too involved in the devastation and stress in our lives, to really get our hands on the last election. Although, not much has gotten better for the Southside, I think we MUST take the time to elect the RIGHT Board Members this time. I, for one, was too wrapped up in insurance issues and lawsuits, to take the time to really consider the candidates in the last election. And, what a mistake that was!!! This board president is destroying the union and peace of this wonderful place. He should resign immediately, or he should be impeached, if that is an option. How can any one man get away with so much? Is there anything we can do before the elections to change things? I am not an expert on Diamondhead politics, and do not know any of the board members, but I am willing to listen to good advice so that I can make the right decisions. I was wondering how the folks on the Northside feel about the NORTH/SOUTH situation? I know how the Southside feels….like the red headed stepchild! We are definitely getting the short end of the stick. IF the Security is bad on the Northside, can you imagine what it is like on the SOUTHSIDE??? From what I hear, we are pretty much on our own.

Summer

Judy,

I am sorry that you are going through so much misery with your insurance company plus the law suits.

We need the South side to come back and get the families back into their homes. There is no excuse for security not making sure the South side is secure.

I think our security acts like thugs and they are useless as far as I can tell.

People get elected to the POA are clueless on how to run a business. They just want to be feel important and they are not spending their money they are spending/wasting our money and they know zero about how to “fix” anything. It is hard for me to believe that we are a nonprofit origination. I would love to look at their books.

A recall of the POA President and the Board would be a good thing. We need a strong leader that can help us to get this all sorted out.

Take care,

Summer

It is very hard to believe that the POA is a nonprofit organization. It a shame that we have to pay for any amenities that cannot make it on their own.
    Some people have made some very bad business deals and we are paying for it. We need someone that knows the politics of Diamondhead and turn this bad situation into a good situation.

People get elected that are clueless , and are not financially whiz kids and they want to feel important. They do not care because no one holds them accountable.

Judy, I hope things get better for you and fast. It’s been over two years are this is not right!

Summer

Well, I think my computer had a melt down. I am so sorry for the way this post went in seven directions.

wayne king
    Participant

I read in the sun herald this morning that Bay St Louis has fired an Officer for much the same kind of treatment of a citizen we are discussing here. I guess we dont have a corner on inept law enforcement. Remember Harrison county Jail, lawyers and judges indicted, ect. ect. Check out the salaries that all entities here in south missippi pay and you may see a collition to inept performance to inadequate pay. Pay of course does not gurantee good enforcement, but you do get what you pay for (education, training, experience ect.). I feel all this corruption of the law enforcement depts, legal system and justice system that are ongoing in our communities are an example of corruption of those systems by a good old boy logic that has crept into our communities and agencies thru years of us turning our heads to nepotism, corruption and allowing injurious practices to occur and not getting involved if it dosent effect us. Its easy to say “got what they deserved” however if it happens to you its derogatory and calls for lawsuit and large money rectification. The public has never learned that Genes do not gurantee or predictable a measure of success. If they did horse raceing would be finished and bookies would go broke. We on the otherhand must continue to suffer the decisions of those selected to rule us, that were put there by the same selfcentered, selfish reasons that directed us to vote the way we did, so the next time you get assulted by our law enforcement, hung out to dry by your lawyer, stiffed by a judge, or have your POA fees go up, remember we as a group allowed it to happen.

Eags753

Wayne, you are right on target when you stated the salaries are part of the problem with not having good professional law enforcement in southern Mississippi. Most officers in Mississippi do not considered it a profession. It is only considered a job and a temporary one at that. It is something one does while waiting for a better opportunity to come along. The salary is extremely low, insurance coverage is only moderate and retirement benefits are shameful. It is no wonder that the best and the brightness don’t last long in the Mississippi law enforcement field. The State police are perhaps the exception but as far as local enforcement is concerned a lot has to be done to improve the situation. The best educated and most promising people can not be expected to apply and serve unless the salaries are commensurate with ones ability. The State has a long way to go but a movement should be made to improve the conditions. We are no longer a quiet rural area and we should demand the State of Mississippi take measures to correct this antiquated system.

Eags753

Originally Diamondhead security was provided by a private security company under contract with the POA. About two years ago this program was abandoned and the security personnel were changed to employees of Diamondhead. The contracted security company was responsible for providing its employees with all company benefits, such as health insurance, liability insurance, retirement benefits, etc. etc. They were also responsible for the hiring, training, etc. of their employees. All these responsibilities now rest with Diamondhead POA (the residences). It is very questionable whether or now this was a wise move in light of the fact that most large U.S. companies have been doing just the opposite by replacing employees with contracted workers. South Central Bell uses contracted workers as opposed to permanent employees, Most power companies use contracted personnel. Heck, even the U.S. Military outsource’s some security responsibilities (Blackwater) There are nurse exchanges that provide medical personnel under contract to many hospitals, Out sourcing and contract worker is the future of big business in this country. But….perhaps our POA knows more these people (lol). As far as vicarious liability is concerned, I am not an attorney, but my appreciation of the law is that basically one is not responsibility for the actions of its personnel unless one of three things can be established. One, negligence hiring, two negligence training and three negligence retention. If anyone of these condition are determined to exist then the employer can be held responsible for the actions of the employee. I wonder if we can survive these standards? What do you think?

Eags753

Negligence retention???? Hummmmm. Did someone say that two of the security officers involved in the incident regarding the damaged mailbox are still employeed? I am sure the person’s attorney will find that interesting.

wayne king
    Participant

You brought up in one of your posts, Insurance. Insurance is probably a topic the board should get involved with and really dig out what we have, what is covered, comparable cost from various sources in the industry and any other deviations that could occur in our coverage. I dont remember reading anything at any time on insurance in the POA minutes, thats not remarkabe, I just dont remember. Lets see, where was I. Oh yea, insurance, I wounder if our agent plays golf?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.