POTENTIAL "REZONING" on NOMA DRIVE?

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead Planning & Zoning Commission POTENTIAL "REZONING" on NOMA DRIVE?

This topic contains 46 replies, has 1,237 voices, and was last updated by  vsimons 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author

vsimons
    Participant

NOMA DRIVE: Potential “REZONING” of parcel “BEHIND CITY HALL”?

City Council minutes of Sept. 2 indicate potential “rezoning” of a certain large parcel “situated behind City Hall”. Rezoning to “commercial”? If so, does anyone know WHAT will be built there?

From City Council Minutes, Sept. 2, 2014:
    ITEM:
    III. 3. d.
    Council member Knobloch informed Council that potential rezoning may be requested for a parcel of land on NOMA DRIVE situated BEHIND CITY HALL. The property was incorrectly zoned initially and a request for corrective action may be forthcoming to the Planning and Zoning Commission.

SEE: http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/09.16.14%20Formal%20Meeting/09.02.14%20Formal%20Meeting.pdf

IS THIS THE PARCEL IN QUESTION?:
    Parcel Number: 132A-2-03-026.003
    http://www.geoportalmaps.com/atlas/hancock/

Louis Fuchs
    Participant

How could the property in question be “…incorrectly zoned initially…”? The P & Z, along with Bridges & Watson, spent an inordinate amount of time deciding the City’s zoning issues and the City Council passed the Zoning Ordinance with the property zoned as it is zoned currently. There is a procedure in place for changing the zoning classification on property and that procedure should be used so that the public can have input into the type of development that would be allowed in the City of Diamondhead. Citizens may object to low income housing, as they did once before. Citizens may object to the City bearing the costs of infrastructure improvements that may accommodate some developer. What gets built on that property could become a big political issue in the City.
    The City Council should be transparent enough to let the citizens know why the property was “…incorrectly zoned initially…”.

vsimons
    Participant

REZONING OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY?
    CITY COUNCIL, OCT. 7, 22014, 6:00 PM (TONIGHT),

II. Presentation Agenda
    1. Council Comments
    d. JOHN ELLIS – REQUEST FOR ZONING CHANGE ON NOMA DRIVE
    3. Public Comments on Agenda Items

AGENDA: http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/10.07.14%20Formal%20Meeting/10.07.14%20Formal%20Agenda.htm

Why was this not FIRST sent to Planning & Zoning?
    P&Z did NOT hold it’s regularly scheduled meeting, saying on the City website only: “***P & Z COMMISSION WILL NOT MEET ON SEPTEMBER 23, 2014***”
    SEE website: http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Pages/PZCommission.aspx

(According to the City website, the last P&Z meeting was June 24, 2014; the last posted P&Z minutes are from May 27, 2014.)

Squaredeal

Another one slipped over on us,huh?..It is time we took matters into our own hands, we need really good legal representation to get rid of this whole mess.I for one am tired of being lied to by every person that has run for any office in DH and held /holds it..I distinctly remember John Fletcher’s platform.”I will not take a salary”, I will cut dues in half”..Guess he meant when we romove him for malfeasance of office. for his promises.

vsimons
    Participant

170 UNITS PLANNED ON 10 ACRE SITE:
    Here’s a summary, as I understood the discussion, from the City Council meeting:
    Developer wants to build 170 units on 10 acres behind City Hall on Noma Drive.
    Developer wants City Council to “RECOGNIZE THERE WAS A MISTAKE IN ZONING” made by the original City regime.
    “RATHER THAN GO THROUGH PLANNING & ZONING,” developer seeks to have current Council “CORRECT THE MISTAKE MADE BY THE PREVIOUS COUNCIL.” Evidently, developer wants zoning changed from R-2 (medium-density) to R-4 (high-density, to allow the 170 units) PLUS City Zoning Ordinance changed to allow condominium units (plus assisted living, etc.?) in all R-4 Zoning. City Attorney said that the Council “maybe can do this in 2 weeks.”

Also mentioned at the Council meeting: NVISION construction about to begin. (Former DH Academy building recently bought by Hancock County, with renovation to be paid for via federal HUD CDBG funds.)

vsimons
    Participant

On the Council agenda for tomorrow:
    Rezoning on Noma Drive for 170-unit complex.
    (Will the Council By-pass the Planing & Zoning Commission?)

CITY COUNCIL: City Hall; Tuesday Oct. 21, 2014 6:00 p.m.
    ITEM III. 4.
    2014-3241: Discussion regarding zoning of Noma Drive Project

http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/10.21.14%20Formal%20Meeting/10.21.14%20Formal%20Agenda.htm

NOTE: According to the Agenda, “Public comments on agenda items” are allowed, but BEFORE the discussion takes place among the Council.

jjsmith

If you build that large of an apartment complex it will destroy the city. We have enough condos. This location will be section 8 in no time.

vsimons
    Participant

More info:
    2 ATTORNEYS “to determine necessary action to PROPERLY ZONE THE SUBJECT PROPERTY”…for 170-unit development???

From the City Council minutes: Oct. 7, 2014:
    http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/10.21.14%20Formal%20Meeting/10.07.14%20Formal%20Meeting%20Minutes.pdf

II. d. “John Ellis along with Attorney Chris Johnson addressed the Mayor and Council regarding a potential zoning error on a parcel of land on Noma Drive. Ellis is requesting the (sic) a zoning correction to allow for a condominium complex. Mayor Schafer requested City Council Attorney Tindell and Attorney Johnson determine necessary action to properly zone the subject property for the condominium development.”

NOTE: Once the development is permitted and built, HOW can the City or the POA prevent the owner from renting/leasing via any methods or programs, including HUD Section 8? (None of the current Section 8 rentals in DH were originally permitted and built to be Section 8 housing.)

AND, MORE ZONING ORDINANCE PROBLEMS TO BE CORRECTED?: The City is getting ready to pay ANOTHER consultant to “assess, draft amendments and finalize a sign ordinance.” (We already paid for this once with Bridge & Watson; now a “redo” is needed.) See page 10: http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/10.21.14%20Formal%20Meeting/action%2010.21.14.pdf

THE FAMOUS “LETTER WRITERS” HAVE BEEN STRANGELY QUIET ABOUT THESE PLANNING & ZONING SNAFUS THAT ORIGINATED UNDER THE OLD SELF-APPOINTED, POA-CREATED CITY REGIME.

benmike60

I’m just curious, who is the developer for the 170 unit complex?

rohboat
    Participant

I too am curious. Why would a contractor want to jump into a market that is so depressed.
    I doubt that construction cost are depressed.

Squaredeal

If everyone wants a real eye opener, go over the city’s “Docket of Claims” and check the expenses there..totally ridiculous for a small town, and so many multiple entries made for engineering and “cruisin” …They need a good audit..from out of state, not New Orleans either.

vsimons
    Participant

Mike and Rohboat,
    This “rezoning VS zoning correction” is on the City Council agenda for TONIGHT.

Maybe we will learn more and see some plans from the developer, who is listed in the Oct. 7 Council minutes:
    http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Agenda%20%20Minutes/2014/10.21.14%20F
    II. d. “John Ellis along with Attorney Chris Johnson addressed the Mayor and Council regarding a potential zoning error on a parcel of land on Noma Drive. Ellis is requesting the (sic) a zoning correction…. Mayor Schafer requested City Council Attorney Tindell and Attorney Johnson determine necessary action to properly zone the subject property… ”

Sounds like an attempt to BY-PASS the City’s own Planning & Zoning procedures (that the REST of us, even the POA, have to follow).

Why are our P&Z “leaders” in hiding re this issue of by-passing P&Z? At the Sept. POA meeting, I heard a P&Z “leader” bragging that he only read people’s comments on DNOL for ENTERTAINMENT.” (He’s on DNOL almost daily “ENTERTAINING” HIMSELF.) However, yesterday afternoon there he was again POSTING (in another thread) on this “disgusting website.” Why isn’t he busy guarding the P&Z Commission’s duties/responsibilities listed in the original City ordinance establishing the P&Z Commission? http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Ordinances%20%20Resolutions/Ord_2012-003_Establishing_P_Z_Com.pdf

Here’s some fun reading, the latest HUD Section 3 plan adopted Aug. 19 (this is required for the City’s HUD CDBG grant):
    http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Ordinances%20%20Resolutions/2014-108%20section%203%20plan%20US%20Dept.%20HUD.pdf

vsimons
    Participant

Squaredeal

Everyone, please click on this link and look it over carefully as I did..I would like some opinions on the expenditures….I am not an accountant, just a lowly engineer, however, I did spot several very suspicious entries..check it out>

RogerSmith

After reading any of my musings here it goes without saying – I’m not ‘kin’ to anyone on the volunteer P&Z commission. Yet I have seen one P&Z commission member here checking posts several times every day. He’s either terribly hard up for ‘entertainment’ or old Chuck G and him are worried about the possibility of having to pay more for their golf games and drinks at the "club".

Welp, soon times will be a changin for the ol Mississippi boys club.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.