Renew Diamondhead? POA Board Bans Videos of Meetings

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc POA Board of Directors Renew Diamondhead? POA Board Bans Videos of Meetings

This topic contains 44 replies, has 899 voices, and was last updated by  Editor 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Editor

Despite promises of openness, the newly elected board has now banned videos of their "open" board meetings.

ofenner

Last night’s DPOA meeting (7/23/14) displayed the new board’s attempt at openness and a bit of naivete at both “Robert’s Rule” and the possible pitfalls of open board meetings. Without the benefit of a parliamentarian or counsel in the rules, much of the meeting found the crowd too willing to jump in and “correct” the procedural arrangement. With that said, I, for one appreciated Mr Fletcher’s willingness to keep his promises of openness and reduction of dues. The board offered notes from an earlier debate proposing a tennis world where all was tabled until a verbal agreement to revisit the proposal when obtaining a total of 150 tennis members were procured. The new board found a pro tennis crowd heckling the idea of bringing up something from the past. The board offered in a motion to cancel the upcoming Tennis project but met with compelling arguments for a wait and see position where contractors can submit bids without deadline demands. There were arguments the deadline pressures caused increases. This motion was voted down and a second motion for the “wait and see” approach carried. The arguments substantially were based on an idea the Tennis center would be a multi facility where kids would be a focal point. There were also arguments that the aging facility fell far short in design from the beginning. In conversations with some former board members who served after Katrina, we learned a proposal to have Tennis world relocated to the area near the clubhouse was shot down with arguments the facility would deter the beauty of the clubhouse and area. In conversations with some former business people who are DH residents drew the conclusion a tennis world should be built but somewhere next to the club, pools and golf facilities as they should all tie into the present facilities to enhance business. We also discovered the DPOA was under a heavy legal counsel debt that has diminished to a managed amount in recent times. We also learned the board is questioning legal fees from the attorneys garnered from the old POA board. The meeting became hampered as well confusing when motions from the board met with debate from the floor. This could be eliminated with an honorary sergeant at arms position or the board in the spirit of openness, allowing comments on a subject by the floor followed by debate of the board, motion and vote without furthering floor comments. A motion to film the proceedings met with mostly con comments and to Mr. Fletcher’s dismay was voted down. The new board for these open meetings are discovering the old board’s allies aren’t ready to lie down and appear to be in the majority or at least verbally of the standing room only room.

BeauB
    Participant

Ridiculous. 7/1/15

glasswiz

Unfortunately there are many people in Diamond head that do not understand parliamentary procedure. They believe the loudest voice in a mob carries the day. Its amazing how ignorant that supposedly well educated people can be. This is why some meetings shouldn’t be open. Good luck, Mr. Fletcher.

Voter

I am encouraged that POA members are attending the meetings of the new administration. I would hope that the new POA board establishes rules for an orderly process for conducting the business of the association and allowing for public comment where appropriate. An open and transparent process for all business is the cornerstone for building trust and goodwill in a community such as Diamondhead.

cchristovich

Good manners seems to have been lacking.

glasswiz

Editor – 2014-07-24 11:26 AM

Despite promises of openness, the newly elected board has now banned videos of their “open” board meetings.

They really should video the meetings to protect themselves from the stupid poor behavior of the audience.

pdutton

It might help if some of the offenders could see how loutish they look and sound. But maybe not. Some of the world’s worst louts, imo, are those who see themselves as “privileged elites” in the little movies playing solely in their own heads. They seemed to be out in force last night.

ofenner

During the debate over the filming of the meetings, a board member brought up a number of complaints from DPOA members insisting they didn’t want to be filmed and filming would cause their reluctance to contribute their opinion/response or add to the debate. Most of the board said they wouldn’t mind being filmed but the idea of hiring a professional to film the proceedings came up. Something as simple as recording the meeting produced controversy.

wilkesm

The “old guard” who are not going quietly “into that good night” are part of the problem. Hopefully our new board will remember who voted for them and put them in office. Hopefully the new board will not bow to the “old guard”. Of course listen, they may have some good ideas…and if so, great…incorporate their ideas. But they should not be intimidated by these “aristocrats”.

FortunateOne

â a board member brought up a number of complaints from DPOA members insist/ing they didn’t want to be filmed and filming would cause their reluctance to contribute their opinion/response or add to the debate. â
    Translation:

Bigoted elitist snobs who want to address the board (and insult the surrounding communities) donât want the world to see what asses they are. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_aXMRTXvA&list=UUKRfEozRSNpCzZzVvVfakeQ

pdutton

Yes, that was interesting. I get it that people are camera shy and that there’s a fear of sounding silly or even being made to sound silly by selective editing or possibly by a cutting reply from a board member. I also understand the board’s reluctance to spend money on a professional videographer though they could at least check into the cost before voting on the matter.

Nevertheless, most people cannot get out to go to board meetings, especially non-retired members who’ve spent the whole day at work and have children at home needing dinner, homework oversight, family time, etc. If affordable, it would be an excellent thing to have the agenda on the POA website several days in advance and the entire meeting taped and on the website for viewing next day. Members who are intimidated by cameras as well as those who cannot attend would have time to email or call board members to express their opinions beforehand.

After the last few meetings, I suspect that many of those who don’t want to be videotaped are happy enough to behave badly at a meeting surrounded by their little applauding friends’ but don’t care to show that side of themselves to the community at large. There was one woman last night, for example, who screeched like a harpy at board members, repeatedly shouting at them to stand up when they spoke. She was actually cheered by pals of hers. The last time I saw conduct like that, I was teaching junior high school.

FortunateOne

What are these people, 10, 12 years of age? Just entering junior high? Canât audition for the school play? This is adult business, if they canât grow up, shut up and sit down.

glasswiz

Videotaping would protect all parties regarding what is said and what happens. The camera sees all and doesn’t discriminate.

carygrant

“Nevertheless, most people cannot get out to go to board meetings, especially non-retired members who’ve spent the whole day at work and have children at home needing dinner, homework oversight, family time, etc. If affordable, it would be an excellent thing to have the agenda on the POA website several days in advance and the entire meeting taped and on the website for viewing next day. Members who are intimidated by cameras as well as those who cannot attend would have time to email or call board members to express their opinions beforehand.

After the last few meetings, I suspect that many of those who don’t want to be videotaped are happy enough to behave badly at a meeting surrounded by their little applauding friends’ but don’t care to show that side of themselves to the community at large. There was one woman last night, for example, who screeched like a harpy at board members, repeatedly shouting at them to stand up when they spoke. She was actually cheered by pals of hers. The last time I saw conduct like that, I was teaching junior high school”

Due to all the commotion and big crowds, I agree. I like your idea of publishing the agenda on the webpage, and then be able to view the meeting video. I think the POA web page is grossly under utilized.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.