Secrets of Successful POA Board Members

Home Forums Diamondhead Country Club and Property Owners Assoc POA Board of Directors Secrets of Successful POA Board Members

This topic contains 29 replies, has 421 voices, and was last updated by  pdutton 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

pdutton

“The qualities a board member on a successful board should include a true desire to serve the community and looking out for the best interests of the members of the association,” says Fry. “You don’t want someone who’s purely self-serving. People who make successful board members are ones who are truly able to listen to the concerns and views and values expressed by their members. They don’t come with a preconceived notion of what the problem is or how it could be resolved. They are effective communicatorswhich requires effective listening, and naturally effective communication back.”

http://njcooperator.com/articles/210/1/Secrets-of-Successful-HOA-Boards/Page1.html

rohboat
    Participant

This should bring on some interesting conversations.

pdutton

I sure hope so. I’m temporarily sidelined with a minor med. issue whose cure is is more tiring than the disease so I am BORED and I wish everyone would come out and play!

pdutton

SECRET #1: SUCCESSFUL DIRECTORS ARE GOOD LISTENERS AND COMMUNICATORS WITH A TRUE DESIRE TO SERVE THE BEST INTERESTS OF THE POA MEMBERS.

Let’s recap.

1. In board meetings since June’s election we’ve seen a slew of directors who completely ignored member input, others who actively bullied members, and about 2/3 of them who, unbelievably, adjourned the meeting in the face of a young female member who was standing them and addressing them.

2. A majority of directors voted against having meetings videotaped so that members who could not attend would have the opportunity to see and hear them.

3. The only director who provided facts, figures, and explanation about the budget to members at November’s meeting was Mr. Weber, backed by Mr. Fletcher and Mr. Schaefer. At that meeting, four directors opposed any cut at all in dues, basing their decisions on their own personal views, one voting illegally over a telephone through which he could hear nothing of what the board was saying and had to constantly be told what he was voting on.

SO judging from the conduct of directors at meetings since June, this criterion for a good board is met so far by maybe 2 or 3 out of 11.

rohboat
    Participant

Fairly accurate recap but as usual nothing much the membership can so about it.
    when the membership is ignored and much activity is done in private just how long before serious transgressions are performed?
    With passive attendance by members and without a troublemaker why even go to meetings?

pdutton

There are things the membership can do about it and several have been proposed but there’s an odd sort of apathy about taking action, a kind of deep hopelessness that anything can be done.

I’m reading “Ratking,” Michael Dibdin’s first book in his series about Italian police detective Aurelio Zen. One of the characters tells Zen about his theory that the kidnapping of a very powerful billionaire is part of an extensive plot in which they are all – police, politicians, the kidnapped billionaire, his lawyer, his family, etc. – involved and stand to benefit.

It reminded me of some of the despairing things I’ve heard here at Diamondhead: like it’s all one big ratking made up of POA and city politicians, lawyers, judiciary, supervisors, dealmakers, etc. all in together on various deals so it’s impossible to do anything about it.

Pretty much a self-fulfilling thought.

Def.: “A rat king is a cluster of rats that have become attached to each other by their tails.”

pdutton

“While the average age of many HOA board members is 60, many of these people still lack the maturity to properly deal with each other and other members of the community. Being open minded to new ideas and empathetic to a member’s situation is key to handling situations in a mature way. Also serving on the board without a hidden agenda is the greatest way to show you are mature enough to handle an HOA board position. Hidden agendas almost never work and once they are uncovered the person dealing the agenda loses the respect of the board and community.”

http://melrosemanagement.com/blog/propertymanagement/post.cfm/post/5403/tasks-and-qualities-of-successful-hoa-board-members

wayne king
    Participant

Again, I say that nothing will change with the POA or City until a group organizes and solicits enough voters and proxi votes to elect people from their group to POA and City offices and beware of those that lie about their positions on issues because your group will be infiltrated by those who only wish to neutralize your efforts.

pdutton

That makes sense to me, Wayne. The way to beat them, as the magistrate tells Zen, is to organize a bigger, more powerful ratking than theirs.

pdutton

“How does it happen that a board member is able to control important decisions in an HOA or Condo Association or act alone? I have to think it is because the rest of the board is asleep, weak, lazy, too busy with other things to be concerned, unwilling to take responsibility, ineffective, or extremely gullible. Or maybe the association members are apathetic and do not attend the association meetings, vote, offer to serve, or pay attention in elections as to who is running for the board.”

http://communityassociations.net/cacondoguru/hoa-or-condo-board-member-in-control-or-out-of-control/

rohboat
    Participant

So the saga goes on and on. We are like lost little lambs. Going bleep, bleep. Not knowing how to find our way.
    Some say it is OK to be fearful just pay the Kingrat whatever he wants.
    But others say pay him nothing and he will just dry up and blow away. It could be similar to a worker’s strike.
    That sounds very brave, but unless I am sure most everyone is doing that I do not plan to put my neck in that noose.
    And some say that through community effort we could either replace the King rat or find a representative who can out draw the King. Again this starts off sounding like a nifty idea but experience has taught us that once we find some quick draw cowboys they tend to quiver in the presence of the King and all is for naught.
    Maybe another way can be found if we can get the city rat to duke it out with the King. Rats have been known to steal from each others stash. With closer inspection this appears to be just wishful thinking. On both sides all these boys have their own agendas probably patting each other’s backs. .
    Then as I ponder this situation it becomes evident that there are probably divisions within the herd that could be troublesome There is an interesting situation in the community pertaining to the golfers. Practically every resident in Diamondhead is a hard core conservative many tilting toward some Tea Party philosophy. This group tends to have anti government attitudes and strongly adhere to privatizing methods. That sounds fine and dandy until the concept of privatizing the golf courses. Then they go through some philosophic contortions to right the ship.
    They also have some bizarre explanations about social security and medicare.

Squaredeal

There is strength in numbers, and I have suggested we start meetings and get the word out to everyone, word of mouth advertising works well….then, maybe we can overhtrow them using the voting method.

pdutton

Totally agree. I had checked the library requirements for meeting room use before I ran into a health glitch that hopefully is about cleared up. We need to enter a name for the group on the form in order to reserve the room. Any ideas?

Lce
    Participant

IMHO people who are sick of the unfairness of the POA often don’t speak up for fear of intimidation and retaliation. I know of two who were intimidated by board leaders for speaking up.

The way the POA misappropriated our dues monies to promote incorporation is a solid angle or stance to say we no longer have to recognize this poa or pay dues to the poa. There is also evidence from trustworthy sources that the dues votes in the past and the most recent one were done in violation of the poa’s own rules. Meaning we don’t owe dues as the voting was not really by the rules. The problem is so many live in fear of the poa ratkings that they send you emails with important information but they don’t want to be the ones to come forward.

(Can’t say I blame them as I’ve seen how the poa operates when you don’t just pay your dues and shut up.)

pdutton

Another excellent reason to organize: safety in numbers.

I wish that there was an easy way like just not paying dues, but it’s really not a good plan. Your obligation to pay dues is totally separate from actions of the POA no matter what they do. MS law and our bylaws provide legal recourse for dealing with a board that’s making bad decisions. You can elect new board members, remove the bad ones, change the bylaws, sue, etc. With many legal ways to correct the problems, no Mississippi court is going to be ok with “self-help” – implementing your rights without resort to legal means.

Use of intimidation and retaliation is truly the mark of losers, riffraff who need what they see as the trappings of power in order to feel like they can control others. It’s no wonder our board bullies and intimidators have formed a clique. Think Lord of the Flies: little boys who lose all sense of the common good and regress to a primitive state.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.