Should We Move To Diamondhead?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 801 voices, and was last updated by  Guest 12 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Hello Diamondhead Residents,

Over 2 years ago my husband and I made the decision to move to the Gulf Coast of MS when he takes early retirement in February 2005. We have made several trips since that time to become familiar with the entire area and narrow down where we would want to purchase a home. During our last visit we discovered Diamondhead and have become very excited about what appears to be a wonderful community to live in.

However, after reading many of the posts on this site, I am becoming concerned if it’s as wonderful as appears on the surface. Obviously no place is perfect and there will always be problems, but when I read comments about such things as residents would not have moved to DH if they knew then what they know now, excessive water and sewer fees, drainage problems, a “dictatorship” mentality by the Board of Directors, all the legal problems caused by the Board of Directors, etc. I am becoming concerned about what we could be getting into if we were to purchase a home in DH. There are so many homes available for sale in DH at very reasonable prices when compared to other communities. Is this because people are so unhappy, or can no longer afford to live there, and must sell at a lower price just to get out?

Your comments, opinions and suggestions would be most appreciated. Are there any other means of investigation on the entire Diamondhead picture you can recommend? Thanks for your time in responding!

springrs

As a somewhat prominently displayed resident on this website, I must apologize for the impression that we may have given you about our community. Certainly there are issues that some of us want addressed but please consider that there are only a few contributors to these pages out of the 6,000-8,000 POA members here. I have lived here for 3+ years and don’t regret my decision to retire here except that there are more and more finding their way to Diamondhead. I wish we could stop the growth and keep it just the way it is today. I moved about every 3 years for the 30 years of my career and have never found a place as affordable (taxes, utilities, cost-of-living, etc.) and desirable as here. So come on down and join us…just don’t tell anyone else, okay? Bob Springer

jsrd

My husband and I moved to Diamondhead six years ago and have never regretted the move. It is a great place to live, there are lots of things to do right here without having to drive somewhere else, and we are blessed with wonderful neighbors.

I do not find the costs to be high, as a matter of fact after having lived in the Northeast for many years, the cost of living here is remarkably reasonable. As to drainage problems, any town around here has some areas that drain less well than others – we get lots of rain at times. I would say Diamondhead has far less problems than Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian or Waveland.

The best way for you to decide if this is the place for you is to come down, spend some time looking around, talk with people, and look at some homes. But I will tell you…..we love living here!

Anonymous

Thank you Bob and JSRD for your responses. As stated in my original post, we know that no place is perfect and there are always problems and complaints. However, I was starting to get nervous about Diamondhead after reading various articles and posts on this website.

Ultimately it’s our decision to make, but it’s always good to gather as much info as possible. As JSRD suggested, we need to look at homes, talk to people, etc. which is what we’ll be doing next week on our next trip to MS. As a matter of fact, we’re actually renting a condo in DH for a couple nights of our stay.

Regardless of which community along the Gulf Coast we settle in, we’re very excited about moving there and are confident we’ll really enjoy it! Thanks again.

Editor

Minnie,

It would be prudent that you have an attorney look at all of the documents that govern any common interest community along with recent court cases (http://www.diamondheadnews.com/articles/legal/longanecker/ChanceryRuling.htm ), corporate filings including bylaws articles of incorporation, board minutes, covenants and contracts (http://www.diamondheadnews.com/AbsoluteNM/Sections/DHPOAmin.asp ), state statutes (http://198.187.128.12/mississippi/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0 read section 79-11 governing non profit corporations, The Diamondhead POA claims to be one) and the original property report, before you decide if that community is right for you.

Find out what your rights are and what powers you are turning over to any property owners association before you invest.

Veggie

My husband and I moved to Diamondhead 2 years ago. We really enjoy the area. It is wonderful to know that this area does not allow “parked cars” pile up in a drive-way that “are going to be fixed” but never are. The property owners keep their lots clean and manicured. We have wonderful neighbors, have never had a problem with drainage/sewer. I hope we do not expand too much. The only problem I feel we have right now is I have heard some contractors have come into Diamondhead to build homes that are not good quality homes. Check your builder out!

MARC MASEMAN

I,too am consideriing moving to Diamondhead as a homeowner. I too have reservations after reading some of the postings here. How does one go about checking out the local builders? How does one go about checking the POA documents to find out which rights are given up upon purchasing?
    Realtors have an agenda to turn over sales and are not a reliable source for this info.

Anonymous

My husband and I moved to Diamondhead in January 2001. We have not regretted for one moment our move to D’head. The cost of living is not high. When we moved here from New Orleans, our car insurance rates were less for more coverage; our electricity bill is about 2/3 less than before; and we have not had any problem with drainage even during Hurricane Ivan.
    We are one hour from New Orleans, about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Mobile, and about 1 hour from Hattiesburg (great shopping mall). There is a lot of growth in Diamondhead but it seems to be controlled. Every new house that I see is very upscale.
    We celebrate Mardi Gras in D’head with Carnival Krewes and parades. So I say come on down and enjoy your retirement.

lisal

NO-NO-NO PAYING THE POA IS LIKE BURNING $120++ EACH MONTH IN A FIRE.

tbare

The dues are not $120 a month, they are half of that. The sewer and water fees are reasonable, and as for the lawsuits, lets take a look. There are 5 and three involve the owner of this website!!!!!!

Diamondhead does not have a serious drainage problem, but some areas will get wet when you have 5, 6 or 7 inches of rain in a day.

tbare

Of the 5 lawsuits, 3 involve the owner of this website and the other 2 are costing the POA nothing.

lisal

DUES $60 IF YOU MOVE INTO THE OAKS AND EXTRA $35 THEN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT FOR ALL IS $20 THE WATER A SEWER HIKE. DO I NEED TO GO ON!!!!! THEN THE LAST RASH OF BREAK INS WERE FROM KIDS WHO LIVE IN DIAMONDHEAD.

Editor

As the new legal advisor, you should know. What we would like to know is what experience you have, sir, in matters of law, since our dues are paying for your insurance.

m3nut_2003

So I assume you’ll be selling soon due to the high cost of the POA dues? I thought the dues was $60/month per lot. You have 2 lots? If so and there’s a house on them I suggest you consolidate for a mear $2500 and only pay $60/month.

MARC MASEMAN

Ok, I’m still confused. The monthly POA is $60. per lot. Fire protection is $20. ?? water/sewer is ???. electricity and insurance cost less. drainage is not a problem. The Oaks costs $35.00 month more?? Why?
    Are the golf courses crowded? Are the rates reasonable. Are prices reasonable at the country club and the marina? Are people friendly in general, here? I also understand that car tags are ad valorum, that could be very costly and there is a state income tax. What other hidden charges or surprises are involved? Why is this site sueing the POA?? I have read on this site that POA people are only concerned about their own interests. Why can’t they be replaced??????? HELP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.