Speed limits to be reduced

Home Forums Diamondhead Government City of Diamondhead Speed limits to be reduced

This topic contains 26 replies, has 647 voices, and was last updated by  Editor 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Editor

Accordingto reports from last nights city council meeting, the speed limits in Diamondhead will be reduced to 25 mph. Any comments?

AGpoetry

Unfortunately everyone here is not over 65. People have jobs, kids to take to school. Is the 25 mph also to try and give tickets to people who might have accidentally overslept?
    Like I said unfortunately a lot of people are still employed.

QueenMercury

Yes, these people are nuts and I believe more each day that Diamondhead is an experiment for some entity. Just as well ban cars in Diamondhead and give the roads to golf carts.

QueenMercury

Trust me, I know some over-80 yeard olds that won’t stick to 25 mph.

Sbreland18

Just another way to increase tickets handed out. I can understand this speed limit in the front of Diamondhead where there are businesses or on side roads where it is just houses. The main roads that travel through Diamondhead still should be 30 or 35 mph because if not, traffic will increase majorly.

Travelkids
    Participant

Unfortunately everyone here is not over 65. People have jobs, kids to take to school. Is the 25 mph also to try and give tickets to people who might have accidentally overslept?
    Like I said unfortunately a lot of people are still employed.

Huh?? Leave 2 minutes earlier then!

ju ju

I see big problems ahead. It is VERY rare to see people drive inder 35 m.p.h. Change it to 25 and we’ll all be creeping along with the golf carts. There’s never good news that comes out of the C.C. meetings. By the way, who are they doing this for?

rhazen

Diamondhead does not need to implement new speed limits, they need to simply enforce the speed limits we currently have. If those limits were properly enforced, we would not have speeding issues.

benmike60

Catch me if you can! By the way we do not stop at stop signs either, so put up a stop sign at all the intersections.

WWarren

I see no reasons for lowering the speed limits in Diamondhead. While some abuse the speed limits (and already are liable for ticketing), overall the traffic seems to flow well with substantial safety. Don’t punish the citizens by fixing what is not broken! Enforcement is the answer, not lower speed limits.

Eags753

According to the Mississippi Attorney General’s opinion a city can change the general speed laws enacted by the state only after a study by competent traffic engineers is conducted. I wonder if a legally required study was done. It seems unlikely given the short time frame. The opinion also give discretion to the governing authority as to what constitutes a proper study. But a study is required. Attached is one of the opinions:

Deborah S. Davis, Esquire
    1990 WL 547987
    May 23, 1990

Term Best Section
    1990 WL 547987 (Miss.A.G.)

Office of the Attorney General
    State of Mississippi
    May 23, 1990

Deborah S. Davis, Esquire
    Attorney for City of Aberdeen
    Post Office Box 532
    Aberdeen, Mississippi 39730

Dear Ms. Davis:

Attorney General Mike Moore has received your letter of request and has assigned it to me for research and reply. Your letter states:
    I have received a letter, dated April 25, 1990, from Phil Carter, informing us that our request for an Attorney General’s Opinion concerning speed limits within municipalities must be denied since prosecution has been initiated.
    We need an opinion on the subject, as requested in my letter dated April 6, 1990; and we therefore have elected to dismiss the criminal case which prompted the opinion request.
    Copies of all previous correspondence between our officers are enclosed. We look forward to receiving an official opinion in the matter.

Article 11, Chapter 3, Title 63, Mississippi Code Annotated (1972) is entitled Restrictions on Speed; Use of Radar. Section 63-3-511 provides in part:
    Whenever local authorities, including boards of supervisors, within their respective jurisdictions, determine upon the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that the speed permitted under this article on any street, or any county road or any portion thereof, ar at any intersection is greater than is reasonable or safe under conditions found to exist upon such street, or any county road or any portion thereof, or at such intersection, such local authorities shall determine and declare, by ordinance, a reasonable and safe speed limit, which shall be effective when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected on such street…..

Section 63-3-515 provides:
    The boards of supervisors of counties and the governing authorities of municipalities are hereby authorized to adopt by order or resolution and to enforce within their respective territorial boundaries the maximum legal rate of speed at which a motor vehicle may be run or operated along any public street, road, highway (except state-maintained highways), or portion thereof in the vicinity of schools and churches, upon levees and causeways and in other special zones which the board or governing authorities may designate. The rate of speed so established shall be determined upon the basis of an engineering and traffic study. The order or resolution setting such speed limits may provide that such limits are only effective during specified times of the day, days of the week and months of the year.

As pointed out in your letter of April 6, 1990, the Mississippi Supreme Court in Niles v. Sanders, 218 So2d 428 (1969) said:
    (W)here the existence of the speed zone and rate of speed are properly alleged and not denied, proof that speed signs were in fact posted is sufficient to create a presumption that they reflect appropriate action by competent authority in restricting speeds.

Based on the above quoted authorities it is the opinion of this office that while posted speed limits create a presumption that the municipal governing authorities have lawfully set the posted limits, such presumption is rebuttable. It is our further opinion that the adoption of an ordinance based on an engineering and traffic study is an indispensable prerequisite to having enforceable speed limits. It is within the sound discretion of the governing authorities to determine, consistent with fact, what constitutes a sufficient engineering and traffic study.
    Sincerely,

Mike Moore
    Attorney General

1990 WL 547987 (Miss.A.G.)

END OF DOCUMENT

Term Best Section

2013 Thomson Reuters. No Claim to Orig. U.S. Govt. Works.

Doc 3 of 100
    Cite List

tucker

And I’m sure we will all pay for the study, probably given out with no bids, to a friend of the “Mayor” or a Council person

Lulu29
    Participant

So True Tucker. I have to agree that this is another ploy to fill the coffers. We have two large salaries to pay. Pitiful!!!

Eags753

Two large salaries and, don’t forget, health insurance premiums , social security payments, paid vacations, sick leave allowances, retirement benefits, professional bonds, etc. etc. Also let us not forget $23,000 a month lease payments, building insurance, utilities, city hall building maintenance expenses, yard and landscape upkeep expenses, just to name a few. I am repeating myself but what services do we now have we did not have before? None. What services would we lose if the city unincorporated? None. Some may “want” a city but none can explain why we “need” a city.

ju ju

As for City Hall, why are they cutting down trees on the property? They have several more marked for cutting down. Do they have a bid in to buy the church? Do the property owners know of the trees being cut down? And what’s the price of tree trimming?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.