Tennis clubhouse and grill

This topic contains 186 replies, has 4,408 voices, and was last updated by  benmike60 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 187 total)
  • Author

benmike60

I just read the Diamondhead news and was looking at the POA future plans and projects. The biggest thing that sticks out to me is they are planning on building a new Tennis Clubhouse and Grill, are you kidding me!!!! Looking at the plans it looks too be about a 2000 sqft or bigger clubhouse, how many people will use this? There can’t be more tha a 100 or so tennis players in Diamondhead. I use to live by the east rec and there were many, many days of empty tennis courts.

Michael Schaefer
    Participant

Good grief!!! Let’s take care of the children FIRST and build a rec area for them. There may be a few more tennis players than a 100 but certainly not more than the 1500 children here in Diamondhead. Who sets the priorities here in Diamondhead Elton Kyger???

lisal

This is what gets my goat about the POA!! We, dues paying members, should have had the say so in a vote if we wanted the POA to use our dues to fund this. I certainly never saw any voting forms in the mail. Let’s face it, POA does what they want to with our money no matter what we think.

We pay them every year to do what they please. We are a city now and in our property taxes, we are paing for a city park. Well disolve POA, let the city take over P&R. Right now the pool in the back (Holiday village) is being run by section 8 renters and outsiders who don’t pay dues and POA doesn’t care. Is that why we are paying dues??

lulaird

Well here is the deal: $5K spent on new big baseball field at east rec that is not approved by any little league association so no real games can be played there. The new tennis world and bar/grill will take in the new baseball field So $5K wasted. So now we’re going to mix more traffic and some booze with kids playing at the play ground, swimming pool and the small baseball field (not approved by any little league association either). Gee why don’t we open an adult book store too so we can cover everyone’s vice. Wake up Diamondhead families.
    Coach Tom Diamondhead” Reds” 7-8 year old Baseball Coach.

vsimons
    Participant

In the POA’s Diamondhead News issue for May 2013, on page 8, item 2,
    “Ideas continue to be reviewed for a building costing about $110K/sq. ft. at about 4450 sq. ft. planned to replace the pool house and add needed tennis facility.”
    CAN THIS BE TRUE? $110K means $110,000. The “K” is clearly there. Multiplied times 4450 sq. ft. would be WHAT? (MUST be a typo.)

On page 2 of the same issue, talking about POA dues, Pres. Kyger, says, “The POA has made every effort to be completely transparent throughout this entire process.”

Squaredeal

I think each and everyone should quit paying dues until such time as they want ti include us in all decisions made concerning any expenditures at all..truthfully, we should do away with the stinking POA, just a group of crooks anyway.What about the new Mayor, is he giving up his position on the POA?..If not, that is clearly a conflict of interest, and he should be recalled and put a straight Mayor in

Mayor shaffer is resigning from the POA board. Be a leader by stop paying your dues. Let us know what happens.

Squaredeal

He should have resigned when he opted to run for Mayor.If I decide to quit, I will be sure that I inform you…stand by

vsimons
    Participant

Squardeal,
    From Aug. POA News, page 2, Minutes of July 11, 2013, item 2,

“T. Schafer has resigned his Board position….”

Be sure to read the rest to see WHICH POA Board members blocked having a special election for the empty board seat.

benmike60

I agree, wee all need to stop paying dues, force the POA to make major changes!!

barber1980

Personally I would like to see the ball field project at old tennis world happen first. Our Diamondhead Spartan Youth Football And Cheer program has 120 children from ages 5-12. Plus parents, siblings, grandparents, etc. We currently cannot facilitate Saturday games at East Rec. due to the fact we don not have: Concessions, enough bathrooms, enough parking and ground condition. I sat in a meeting with POA board members about relocation and development of the sport fields to the old tennis world site. We believed that the football/soccer fields would be finished by Fall 2013. Then it was 2014 and now it is on the FIVE YEAR PLAN. .

For once could the city and POA come together. How about this POA develop the Football/Soccer Field with the STORED YOUTH BUDGET FUNDS THEY HAVE BEEN HOARDING. Then turn it over to the CITY WHO CAN SECURE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT GRANTS THAT THE PRIVATE POA CANNOT GET. EITHER WAY THE PEOPLE OF DIAMONDHEAD WIN.

I could go on and on about this subject. Actually anyone who knows me knows that I have been going on about this subject. I am tired of everyone talking about the youth of DIAMONDHEAD to get a vote.for POA or City postitions. There are very few who actually call me after elections. To all who say they’re concerned about the youth of our city I say PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS.

shaymac

Where and when did the vote on the Tennis clubhouse and grill occur? There is no record of it. Our children need a sports facility before they remove the few facilities that they have.

vsimons
    Participant

Where and when? VOTE on $500,000+ new “clubhouse/grill”?

Answer:
    From a POA Board member (running for re-election) at last night’s “open” meeting,
    “WE are elected to make your decisions for you!”

This attitude is in line with the previous Decree from the POA President (who will continue on the Board “ex-officio”):
    “M. KYGER explained that DECISIONS are discussed and MADE in CLOSED meetings and DISCLOSED at Open Meetings.”

Michael Schaefer
    Participant

Virginia,

HANG ON CHANGE IS COMING!!!

With my masters degree in Finance and my bachelors degree in Accounting I cannot see how we can spend more money for new projects when we are in the red on almost every amenity. (Unless, of course, this is a federal government project.) We need to reduce the dues, balance our budget/(s). and require a vote of the members for every expenditure greater than $30,000.

vsimons
    Participant

Change is definitely needed when, according to the POA VP, the “business plan” for the $500,000+ East Rec Tennis Clubhouse & Grill is just “SCIENTIFIC WILD GUESSES”.

[$500,000 just for the new building, PLUS more $$$ for paving, landscaping, etc. NO discussion of future operating costs or projection of probable losses.]

The Capital spending budget was approved at the CLOSED meeting last night. Architect Leah Watters is now drafting plans for the “Diamondhead Tennis & Swim Club”. VP Yarbrough said “…We’ve looked at a business plan…no $$$ forecast…We OWE tennis players a facility…don’t know how many members will benefit…
    Business Plan? = just SCIENTIFIC WILD GUESSES!” (YES, he said that!)

BTW, One hears the “business plan” (the “SCIENTIFIC WILD GUESSES”) for this NEW FACILITY comes from a collaboration between the CHEF and the “Management Consultant”—the one ALREADY paid $100,000+ PLUS “bonuses” to improve Golf operations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.