Ward 2 meeting

This topic contains 14 replies, has 346 voices, and was last updated by  Elena Weber 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Elena Weber
    Participant

Blaine Lafontaine has scheduled a town hall type meeting for Ward 2 citizens on Jul 29 at 6pm at city hall, to get input on what they want as the top five new services for the city to work on for 2014. You should be aware that Ernie Knobloch, Council at Large, is also going to be there to help Blaine with the meeting. Since Ernie is going to be there this is really a public meeting for all Diamondhead citizens. We all should feel free to attend and make our voices heard. We should also present the top five services we don’t want the city to provide, such as our own police force and court system, how about not purchasing the church.

vsimons
    Participant

Lots of free entertainment this week:
    Mon., July 29, 6pm: Ward 2 “Knobloch-Assisted” town meeting;
    Tues., July 30, 2pm: Budget Work Session;
    Wed., July 31, 2pm: Planning and Zoning meeting;
    Thurs., Aug. 1, 9am: Council Work Session.
    http://www.diamondhead.ms.gov/Pages/AllEvents.aspx

vsimons
    Participant

Elena,
    At the meeting last night Mr. Knobloch said DH was REQUIRED by MS law to have a judge, court, etc. and he said he would get you a copy of the law. Let us know when you receive the information.

rohboat
    Participant

As predicted by vsimons the Ward2 meeting did provide some entertainment. This was my first time to attend a gathering of city officials. I provide just a few observations.
    First T.R. Alfonso should be thanked for creating a video recording of the event and posing some pertinent comments on the topics discussed.
    Blain Lafonraine appears to be quite young and somewhat timid but exudes a level of sincerity.
    Knobloch displays a more controlled persona which also suggest he does not expose his positions.
    The topic of five services to be discussed got off to a confusing start. Most questions that came up were dismissed as not on the list and were not necessarily defined as Services. After some haggling it was decided that some were indeed services and should be added to the list.
    Knobloch seemed to think that drainage should be high on every ones list but did not seem to get much concern by most in attendance.
    Top on list was the question of security and the option of either continuing with the current arrangement with the county sheriff or should we have a separate police department. Then of course there was the question of purchase of the church to be used as city hall. Since these were my major points of interest I will not go into some others.
    The interesting part of the meeting was the showing of hand as to how attendees felt about these options.
    1. Those in favor of continuing with current sheriff situation. Most raised their hands.
    2. Those in favor of separate police dept.. Only the Ackermans raised their hands.
    3. Drainage: It was pointed out that the question was ambiguous but every one did agree that Drainage was a good ides.
    4. Starting over again with city hall location. Most raised their hands.
    I skip other hand raising opportunities. .
    Mr. knobloch comment: Any consideration of the topics made here are totally up to the full city council.
    My comment: Don’t get your hopes up.

Eags753

Ernie was mistaken. Here is the State law:

*** Current through the 2012 Regular Session ***

TITLE 21. MUNICIPALITIES
    CHAPTER 23. MUNICIPAL COURTS

Miss. Code Ann. 21-23-5 (2013)
    21-23-5. When mayor may serve as municipal judge; municipal judges training course

In any municipality having a population of less than ten thousand (10,000) according to the latest available federal census, it shall be discretionary with the governing authorities of the municipality as to whether or not a municipal judge or a prosecuting attorney, or both, shall be appointed. If the authorities of any municipality having a population of less than twenty thousand (20,000) according to the latest available federal census appoint a municipal judge, he may be a licensed attorney of such county, a licensed attorney of a county adjacent to such county or a justice court judge of such county. In all municipalities where a municipal judge is not appointed, the mayor, or mayor pro tempore, shall be the municipal judge, but he shall not receive additional compensation from the municipality for such service.

The Mississippi Judicial College of the University of Mississippi Law Center shall conduct, if funds are available, courses of training and education for mayors and mayors pro tempore who serve as municipal judges. This course of training shall be known as the Municipal Judges Training Course and it shall consist of at least twelve (12) hours of training. The content of the course of training, when and where it is to be conducted, shall be determined by the said Judicial College consistent with the need. A certificate of completion shall be furnished those mayors who complete the full course. No mayor elected or reelected for a term of office after July 1, 1979, except one who has been admitted to practice law in this state, shall serve as municipal judge unless he has completed the course of training prescribed herein. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply if funds are unavailable for such training courses.

HISTORY: SOURCES: Codes, 1892, 3001; 1906, 3398, 3399; Hemingway’s 1917, 5926-5929; 1930, 2535-2537; 1942, 3374-103; Laws, 1910, ch. 169; Laws, 1950, ch. 491, 103; Laws, 1958, ch. 517, 1, 2; Laws, 1960, ch. 424; Laws, 1976, ch. 379; Laws, 1977, ch. 314; Laws, 1979, ch. 401, 3; Laws, 1981, chs. 471, 44, 496, 1; Laws, 1982, ch. 423, 25; Laws, 1989, ch. 571, 2; Laws, 2010, ch. 406, 2, eff from and after passage (approved Mar. 17, 2010.)

Squaredeal

Eaqs, you always come through with the legalities…you are a great help to all the citizens here with the info Kudos also to the Alfonsos

Eags753

Thank you Jack but it is a team effort. Your post and involvement are equally important in combating this mess. Pressure from the community is what gets attention and results. Keep the kettle warm.

Squaredeal

Trust me, I will

Eags753

This is my response to an email inquiry regarding the code presented by Ernie:

I think Ernie is misreading this code. 21-23-1 states (below) there shall be a municipal court, etc. Shall, of course, means it is mandated. What this says is a municipal court is required but does not state a municipal judge and/or a prosecutor is required. The section we are using gives the officials of cities under 10,000 a option of having a mayor serve as a judge (without additional compensation) or appoint a county justice court judge to hear municipal violations. Our section of the code clearly states cities under 10,000 are not mandated to hire a judge or a prosecutor.

Of course, I am not an attorney and can not offer a legal opinion but the code seems very clear to me.

TITLE 21. MUNICIPALITIES
    CHAPTER 23. MUNICIPAL COURTS

Miss. Code Ann. 21-23-1 (2013)

21-23-1. Municipal courts established

There shall be a municipal court in all municipalities of this state. Wherever the words “police court” or “police justice” appear in the laws of this state, they shall mean municipal court or municipal judge, respectively.

HISTORY: SOURCES: Codes, 1892, 3001; 1906, 3398, 3399; Hemingway’s 1917, 5926-5929; 1930, 2535-2537; 1942, 3374-103; Laws, 1910, ch. 169; Laws, 1950, ch. 491, 103; Laws, 1958, ch 517, 1, 2; Laws, 1960, ch. 424; Laws, 1979, ch. 401, 1, eff from and after July 1, 1979.

Michael Schaefer
    Participant

Bob,

The old guard should have recognized “that good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find their way around the laws.” Plato (427-347 BC). Consequently, we need our community to ensure the elected/appointed follow the laws.

Eags753

Perhaps we should require all elected officials to read “Plato” (and maybe a few law books-smile).

Squaredeal

Bob, I did call an Attorney today that does a lot of POA work..I do think we can bring them down, but we need to prove they are misusing funds..we would have a class action suit if we get other people concerned and involved with it.Possibly, get some justice.

lisal

Squaredeal,
    Check ur email here. I gave u my phone mumber.Call me

Squaredeal

Hi Lisa..I had to change my email addy..it was compromised a couple weeks ago..please resend
    Sincerely,
    Jack

Squaredeal

To everyone who sent me messages in private, please resend..I had a problem with my email.
    Thank You All,
    Jack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.